On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 7:27:23 PM UTC-5, Unman wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 07:01:56PM -0500, Chris Laprise wrote:

> > >The IP that you are seeing is NOT the IP of the Whonix Gateway - at least
> > >not just the address of the Whonix gateway. It is also the address set for
> > >the qubes update proxy.
> > >
> > >Look in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01qubes-proxy, and you may find  the standard
> > >Qubes proxy set-up.
> > >
> > >If this is the case, then the problem you have would seem to be that
> > >you do not have the update proxy enabled on sys-firewall.
> > >You can check this by looking at the nat table: you should see a
> > >redirect to local port 8028 for all traffic addressed to 10.137.255.254.
> > >
> > >If that redirect is there then check that you have tinyproxy running.
> > >If it isn't look at the page below and check your configuration on
> > >sys-firewall, in particular that you have the qubes-updates-proxy
> > >service enabled.
> > >
> > >You should be able to watch the traffic on sys-firewall using IP tables
> > >iptables -L -nv  for normal and nat tables and seeing the counters
> > >increment as you attempt to update.
> > >If you don't see the counters going up then try resetting the debian-8
> > >netvm again.
> > >
> > >The relevant page is:
> > >www.qubes-os.org/doc/software-update-vm/  in the Updates proxy section.
> >
> > IIRC the update proxy normally runs in sys-net, not proxy/firewall VMs.
> >
> > If the VPN is between the template and sys-net, then the updates will be
> > blocked as described. The way around this is to setup a proxy VM downstream
> > from the VPN and have it run the update proxy.
> >
> > But if its only template->sys-firewall->sys-net then it should be able to
> > connect.
> >
> > Chris
>
> Yes, but as adonis28850 said he configured this as per the instructions
> he will have to have the service running on the firewall below the VPN,
> and this is explicitly in the instructions, so it seems natural to look
> there.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the tips, I will give it a go either tonight or over the weekend and
see if I can figure it out.

I think the reason I may not have the qubes-updates-proxy service on
sys-firewall is because when I first installed Qubes I chose the option of
updating through Whonix, not enabling this service at all in the sys-firewall
VM.

Off the top of my head, I remember going to the services tab in the sys-fw VM
and not seeing such a service, then adding it, trying to start it through the
console and the VM complaining that such service didn't exist at all