Ok I'm making a little bit of progress I think. I have gotten Qubes to boot
using a grub rescue live CD. Trying to follow the directions to repair the boot
code at

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/

 for Qubes 3.2 which states I need to add a few lines to

/boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg

I tried to edit this file (which is empty, not what I was expecting per the
repair docs) using VIM but I have no idea how to use VIM and couldn't easily
figure it out. I was able to copy the file out of dom0 using command

qvm-copy-to-vm <dest-vm> <file>

to the work VM where I had access to gedit a editor I am much more familiar
with. I added the code

mapbs=1
noexitboot=1

to the empty xen.cfg file and saved it. The snag now is getting the modified
file back to dom0, I get why this isn't easy with dom0 having root directory
like privileges I tried command

qvm-run --pass-io <src-vm> 'cat /path/to/file_in_src_domain' >
/path/to/file_name_in_dom0

as per the docs but I don't understand the syntax. What value does <src-vm>
expect? Can someone walk me through how to get the xen.cfg file into the right
place in dom0 to hopefully fix these boot problems please? My modified xen.cfg
file is currently in directory "work dom0" how do I get it into
"/boot/efi/EFI/qubes/" replacing the (empty) "xen.cfg"?

Thanks this is very confusing.