On Saturday, December 31, 2016 at 3:00:40 PM UTC-5, hed...@tutanota.com wrote:
> @Olivier Medoc
>

> First off, thank you for all the work you've clearly put into the Arch Linux
> build and documentation for Qubes.
>

> FYI, I'd just like to add my own experiences when I tried to use the new
> template. (Since I was using the ready-built template, I skipped your build
> instructions and started at section "Package Manager Proxy Setup Section".):
>

> 1. After the initial download, the template VM wouldn't close down and was
> eventually killed by the qubes-dom0-update script. That behaviour was
> repeated after I started and tried to shutdown the template VM myself.
> 2. Just like Francesco, I had difficulty reading the command lines, because
> it is virtually impossible to distinguish a single- from a double-dash and
> copy/paste wasn't working. I tried in both Firefox and Chromium so it wasn't
> browser related. A fixed-pitch font should do the trick.
> 3. Since gnome-terminal wouldn't open, it would have been useful if you had
> specifically named the "archlinux terminal app" for those of us not versed in
> Arch Linux. I used xterm as a fallback, which worked, but later found out
> that there is an xfce4-terminal that is very like gnome-terminal.
> 4. Step 3 Install Pacman failed with an error about a database file not
> existing. Some research led me to try "pacman -Syy" (I think without "sudo")
> which did the trick.
> 5. Step 7 Configure Powerpill...  the description (though not the example)
> omits the need for a comma on the preceding line.
>

> Otherwise, it's now all up and running. Now all I have to do is get my head
> around Arch!
>

> Mike

Mike,

The errors in syntax in the instructions are my fault.  I helped update the
entire instruction guide and obviously there are some typos.   While I did post
it all up for review those must have slipped thru.  It was alot of new
instructions and images.  I was trying to make it so people could c&p the
various cmds to try and make it that much easier.   The issue being that some
of them did not obviously transfer correctly and or I typo'd.  Not sure how it
happened as I took the images and c&p the cmds as part of a full template build
which was successful but somehow it seems it did happen.

The reason powerpill was not given specific configs was at the time a number of
people had posted that pacman should have had a option to config the proxy ip
which ended up not being the case at least not from anything I could find.  I
left it up to the end user then to decide as it was not a direct part of
building the actual archlinux template.

I am happy to add the powerpill config instructions but if you do a basic
search on its use of aria2 that it uses its straight forward.  Its a basic
config file with single line item config with very basic syntax.  It would have
to be for me to get it to work LOL.

The instruction page is 100% editable for change submissions so any errors you
see you can submit the changes to fix it.  If you prefer list them here giving
me the step number and the error and I can go back and fix it.