On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 4:51:06 PM UTC, Foppe de Haan wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 5:24:58 PM UTC+1, Thomas Leonard wrote:
> > On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 3:55:30 PM UTC, Foppe de Haan wrote:
> > > Anyone else tried to use MirageOS i.c.w. a torrent client? I've allocated
> > > 60mb ram, but it crashes within 2-8 hours here, which is kind of
> > > disappointing.
> >
> > Do the logs show an out-of-memory error when that happens? I haven't seen
> > one for a long time now, but maybe torrents stress it more than usual.
> >
> > If so, it could be https://github.com/yomimono/mirage-nat/issues/17 -
> > there's a Mirage hackathon next month and I'm hoping to get some time to
> > work on this there.
>
> Yes. "Fatal error: out or memory. Mirage exiting with status 2"

By the way, what version of the firewall are you using?
If it's not qubes-mirage-firewall v0.2 then try upgrading first - there were
lots of OOM problems in v0.1.

> That said, 2 minutes earlier the log notes that memory use was still only at
> 16.7/38.2 MB.

The annoying thing about hashtables is the way they suddenly double in size.
Since you're allocating 60 MB to the firewall (I only use 20 MB for mine), you
could try adjusting the thresholds at these two lines:

https://github.com/talex5/qubes-mirage-firewall/blob/master/memory_pressure.ml#L41
https://github.com/talex5/qubes-mirage-firewall/blob/master/memory_pressure.ml#L47

Change the 0.9 (allow 90% of memory to be used) to 0.4 in both places. If the
NAT table is the cause, that should make the problem go away.

> (Most of the log -- 90-95% -- consists of 'Failed to parse frame' messages,
> btw.)

"Failed to parse frame" probably means it saw an ICMP (not TCP or UDP) packet
and therefore didn't handle it. Another thing I'm hoping to fix soon...
https://github.com/yomimono/mirage-nat/issues/15