Hi,

I just installed Qubes yesterday and wanted to share my thoughts and
some issues I ran into.

Table of Contents
1. Use Case / Thanks
2. Minor issues with manual partitioning and assigning mountpoints
3. First-boot dialog
4. NetworkManager applet didn't start the first time
5. Modifying /etc files in template-inherited VMs persistently
6. Screensaver blacks screen but doesn't turn off the backlight
7. sys-firewall uses much more RAM than it should have to
8. Encrypted /boot partition support

First, I want to thank the developers. I've used Xen with QEMU and GTK+
on other Linuxes before, so I'm familiar with some of the concepts. I
was trying to accomplish basically what Qubes did, but it was a real
pain to manage, the actual security of the whole system was
questionable, and even simple tasks like pasting text or transferring
files were a pain. You guys did a great job with Qubes. It's the OS I've
been waiting for.

I learned about it a long time ago, probably around the time it first
came out, but I didn't think about trying it until it was featured on
the Tor blog and I learned about some new features. (For anyone who's
interested, I had a thoughtful, though theoretical, debate with another
reader about the some of the design choices around Qubes:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-heart-qubes-os#comment-229452)

The installation was pretty easy, but I ran into somewhat of an edge
case that held me up a little. I did my partitioning manually, and kept
the same GPT (and protective MBR) that was already installed.

BIOS Boot Partition (1007K) - out-of-alignment filesystemless partition
that allows GRUB to embed itself
EFI System Partition
/boot partition
encrypted main partition with LVM
        root
        swap

All good. Here's the issue. I thought I would "help" the installer by
creating a BTRFS LV for the root filesystem. It showed up in the
installer with a weird name like "btrfs.XXX" (where X is a digit that
changed on each reboot), and it didn't have the logical volume name in
the subtext like my swap LV did. I was typing "/" into the mountpoint
field, but instead of moving the partition up to the
to-be-assigned-a-mount-point group (above the list of available
partitions) when I clicked away like /boot and /boot/efi, the "/"
disappeared and the partition stayed put. I didn't think anything of
pre-formatting the LV with BTRFS because it was okay for all of the
other partitions.

I worked around it by removing the filesystem from the LV (zeroing it
out), and then the installer finally allowed me to have a new BTRFS
filesystem created on the LV and a mountpoint assigned. I think at some
point I read in the documentation that the root filesystem MUST be newly
created, but it would have saved me a lot of time if the installer had
just told me that. Overall I'd say it did alright for an LVM-on-LUKS
with BTRFS installation though.

The first-boot options dialog could have explained the options a little
better, or they should be explained in the documentation. For example,
the option to proxy all applications and upgrades through Tor, I
selected it because it sounded like what I wanted, but I didn't really
understand how it would affect the networking VM hierarchy or whether I
could still create unproxied VMs. I left the USB VM (sys-usb) option
unselected because I wasn't sure how reliable it would be, I don't have
an IOMMU anyway, and I don't connect a lot of random USB devices to my
computer, but I would like to try the feature in the future. All along I
was thinking "Can I change my mind later? Am I stuck with these
decisions for the rest of my life?"

Next, and this is the biggest one, the NetworkManager applet in sys-net
didn't start the first time, so I spent an a lot of extra time tinkering
with it and researching the problem until I found a bug report that
described the exact problem I was having. All I had to do was restart
sys-net, but it would have saved me a lot of time if it had started on
its own the first time.

I wanted to setup MAC address spoofing on my wireless interface too, so
I modified /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf in sys-net, but when
I restarted it my changes were gone. I read that I have to make changes
in the TemplateVM itself (fedora-23) for them to be persistent, but the
problem is that I don't necessarily need all VMs to have this change.
I'm still not sure of the correct way to make changes to a single VM
that inherits from a TemplateVM.

Also, the screen saver doesn't turn off the display backlight like it
did on my old OS on this machine. Rather, the screen goes black but the
backlight is still on. I've seen other machines do the same thing, but I
know the hardware and drivers support turning off the backlight on this
machine if I can figure out how to configure it. I'm really hoping it
doesn't involve recompiling the kernel or anything like that.

When the Qubes VM Manager came up, my first thought (after noticing how
nice it looked) was "1400MB of RAM for a firewall? Really?" It's now at
723MB, but still, I have a feeling something like DSL or Alpine Linux
could do the same with less resource consumption (and better hardening,
as an added bonus).

Lastly, something I lost from my old setup was an encrypted /boot
partition[1]. It used GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y so that Grub itself could
unlock the /boot partition run the kernel and early userspace, which
could optionally do some authenticity checks (e.g. verify the bootloader
was not modified)[2], and then ask for the main partition password.
Although not perfect, this helps protects the kernel and early userspace
from tampering and mitigates certain other offline attacks. Are there
any plans to support something like this on Qubes OS in the future?

[1]
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Encrypting_an_entire_system#Encrypted_boot_partition_.28GRUB.29
[2]
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Specialties#mkinitcpio-chkcryptoboot

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the
NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!