On 03/05/2017 08:11 AM, sm8ax1 wrote:

Thanks, I read the custom install page prior to installing, but I was
unaware of #2340.

To be honest, when I decided I wanted BTRFS, I just sort of assumed that
guest disk images were logical volumes to begin with. The custom install
page mentioned LVM in every scenario, so I thought it was necessary for
that reason. And the Xen wiki repeatedly mentions that logical volumes
are faster than image files on any kind of filesystem.  It was, however,
suspcious when the custom install page said "-l 100%FREE" for the root
LV. I guess that's what I get for assuming.

Are there any plans for hooking Qubes up to the LVM in this way? LVM
itself supports block-level rw CoW snapshots, and the Xen project
strongly recommends it over image files.

Normally you shouldn't mix Btrfs with LVM, as the former is a kind of volume manager in itself.

I have used Btrfs on Qubes for probably close to 2 years and it has been very good in terms of stability and performance. However, anaconda (fedora's installer) doesn't handle a mixture of partitioning and fs options well, esp. if you select Btrfs. The only 'good' way I've found is to select a Btrfs system install and let it re-partition the whole disk; otherwise, it has a tendency to forget steps such as LUKS encryption layer.

Note that thin-provisoned LVM (probably the type you're referring to) incurs a speed penalty as well. Its really doing the same work as Btrfs, but without some of the nice features.

I wanted to setup MAC address spoofing on my wireless interface too, so
I modified /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf in sys-net, but when
I restarted it my changes were gone. I read that I have to make changes
in the TemplateVM itself (fedora-23) for them to be persistent, but the
problem is that I don't necessarily need all VMs to have this change.
I'm still not sure of the correct way to make changes to a single VM
that inherits from a TemplateVM.

On MAC anonymization:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/anonymizing-your-mac-address/
That's more or less what I read on other sites. I think we should
consider putting a Big Fat Warning on that page saying that your changes
will be lost on restart if the VM belongs to a template, or you could
easily leak your real MAC address by accident.

This behavior is explained in Qubes introductory material... template-based VMs forget anything that isn't in /rw (such as home/). That's why its routine for Qubes docs to instruct adding settings to the template. In this case, the doc also has the user restarting the netVM before checking the MAC address.

Also, a given template does boot differently depending on the VM type (netVM, proxyVM, appVM) that's using it. So Network Manager settings don't really affect appVMs since they aren't intended to run NM.

On TemplateVM persistence:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/#important-notes

On making directories persistent without making the changes in a TemplateVM:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/bind-dirs/
Thanks. It sounds like bind-dirs.sh is just what I need!

There are several alternatives for configuration. The VPN doc describes using /rw/config (without bind-dirs) to configure and script things for a specific VM. You could also create a standalone netVM so that config changes become very straightforward. It depends on the specific case.

Chris