On Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 09:08:07PM +0000, Unman wrote:

> > I have the same problem with Fedora 23, Debian 8 and Debian 9:
> >
> > = Fedora 23 =
> > [user@work ~]$ grep PRETTY /etc/os-release
> > PRETTY_NAME="Fedora 23 (Workstation Edition)"
> > [user@work ~]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> > nameserver 10.137.2.1
> > nameserver 10.137.2.254
> > [user@work ~]$ dig +short gov.uk @10.137.2.1
> > 23.235.33.144
> > 23.235.37.144
> > [user@work ~]$ dig +short gov.uk @10.137.2.254
> > ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
> >
> > = Debian 8 =
> > user@cloud:~$ grep PRETTY /etc/os-release
> > PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)"
> > user@cloud:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> > nameserver 10.137.2.1
> > nameserver 10.137.2.254
> > user@cloud:~$ dig +short gov.uk @10.137.2.1
> > 23.235.33.144
> > 23.235.37.144
> > user@cloud:~$ dig +short gov.uk @10.137.2.254
> > ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
> >
> > = Debian 9 =
> > user@Email:~$ grep PRETTY /etc/os-release
> > PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)"
> > user@Email:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> > nameserver 10.137.2.1
> > nameserver 10.137.2.254
> > user@Email:~$ dig +short gov.uk @10.137.2.1
> > 23.235.33.144
> > 23.235.37.144
> > user@Email:~$ dig +short gov.uk @10.137.2.254
> > ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
> >
> > Do you have an advise how to remove 10.137.2.254 from the list of
> > default name servers?
>
> Probaly more relevant would be for you to discover why the first
> nameserver isnt reachable or isnt responding.
> With multiple entries they are queried in the order given, so if the
> first is working correctly the second entry wont be hit.
>
> Thats the real problem.

I have understood why I have this problem.

On my LAN, the DNS recursive server (unbound) has a blacklist: it
refuses to answer queries for tracking/ad domains. The problem is that
when a program receives a "REFUSED" packet from its DNS query, it tries
to solve the same host on the second DNS server in resolv.conf.

I can see the pattern clearly using tcpdump: Query -> fast answer
REFUSED -> Query on the second DNS server -> no answer.

On the DNS resolver:
# grep facebook unbound-blacklist.conf
local-zone: "facebook.com" refuse

on any Qubes VM:
$ host facebook.com 10.137.2.1
Using domain server:
Name: 10.137.2.1
Address: 10.137.2.1#53
Aliases:

Host facebook.com not found: 5(REFUSED)
$ host facebook.com 10.137.2.254
$ host facebook.com
Host facebook.com not found: 5(REFUSED)
$ ping facebook.com
ping: facebook.com: Temporary failure in name resolution

I do not understand why this second DNS server is populated in all Qubes
VM. Is there a simple way to configure only 1 DNS server?

Antoine