My quick guess is that you need 2GiB more RAM with Qubes0S than with, say,
Ubuntu. Reasoning:

a. Experience: 6GiB with Ubuntu was somewhat usable, but I had to close all
apps I was not using at the time and even with this, I got some swapping times.
With 8GiB, it was much better. With QubesOS, I got similar experience for 8GiB
(swapping times) and 10GiB (good experience). But please note that my
experience with 10GiB RAM is quite short: I have used it few days because of a
faulty RAM module. (10GiB was actually a temporary downgrade from 16GiB.)

b. Calculation: By default, dom0 takes at least 1GiB RAM. Both sys-net and
sys-firewall and sys-usb can be configured for 200 or 300 MiB. Plus some
overhead.

Note that Qubes 4 will probably add about 50MiB overhead for each VM except
HVMs (the overhead is alreasy there) and dom0 (no need for stubdom).

On the other hand, you can make some further modifications that same some RAM.

* If you don't need USB for anything but keyboard and mouse (or touchpad or
something similar), you can get rid of sys-usb.
* You might merge sys-net and sys-firewall in one VM. Yes, some will note that
this is generally a bad idea. While I agree it reduces some benefits of Qubes,
merging sys-net with sys-firewall should not make it worse than conventional
distributions.
* You might try MirageOS-based firewall to reduce its footprint. But please
note that this is experimental today.

Also note that QubesOS is not designed for swapping. All AppVMs have 1GiB swap
and you can theoretically add more, but memory balancing does not work well if
swap is used heavily.

I would say that you will be able to run Qubes with 4GiB RAM if your
requirements are pretty low. It might be worth trying. But I would not
recommend any laptop with non-upgradable 4GiB RAM as a new hardware for QubesOS.

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'