Thank you for the hints. When assigning the USB controller to the Windows HVM not error messages are displayed anymore. BTW, it is difficult to figure out which USB controller to assign to the Windows HVM.

However, the USB headset does not appear as a device in Windows, so the appropriate driver is not installed and I cannot assign it as input/output device in my conferencing software. Do I need anything on the Windows side as well? Is it necessary to install the Qubes Windows Tools to have USB audio functionalty? I do not have them installed currently.