On 04/19/2017 01:41 AM,
hft.huu...@gmail.com wrote:
> Op dinsdag 18 april 2017 21:03:12 UTC+2 schreef Reg Tiangha:
>> On 04/18/2017 12:54 PM, HydraGene wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>

>>> So I updated Qubes kernel to version 4.4.55-11, but HCL report still
>>> says I am running version 4.4.14-11..
>>>
>>> I assume this isn't quiet right..
>>>
>>> My VM's are running the latest version according the the VM settings.
>>>

>>> Can someone tell me how to run my latest installed kernel?
>>>
>>> Also, can someone help me remove the old kernel versions? Because they
>>> are kind of obsolete and a waste of space. I have 3 kernels installed
>>> now, I want to remove at least the oldest one, which is 4.4.14-11
>>>
>>> Would be happy if someone could help me out.
>>>
>>> Thanks and best regards,
>>>
>>> HydraGene
>>>

>> Dumb question, but did you reboot? If not, do so. If you did, then
>> reboot again, and when the GRUB menu shows up, select "Advanced Options"
>> and see which kernel is at the top or pre-selected. It's *should* be
>> 4.4.55 but maybe in your case, it's not.
>>
>> As for the kernel limit, you can change installonly_limit in
>> /etc/dnf/dnf.conf in dom0 from 3 to 2 and the next time the kernel is
>> updated, it'll uninstall any kernels beyond the second one, or you could
>> manually uninstall the oldest kernel yourself using
>>
>> sudo dnf remove kernel-<version> kernel-qubes-vm-<version>
>>
>> but hold off on doing that for a bit as there might be a bug right now
>> in vm kernel uninstallation:
>>
>> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2757
>
> Thanks for your reply. (I currently experience some issues with the original
> mailservice.. So that's why I reply with my Google account now..)
>
> Ofcourse I have rebooted, several times even.
> GRUB menu? What GRUB menu? lol I know GRUB, but I don't see any GRUB menu
> when I boot.. I have an UEFI install. /boot/efi is in the EFI partition.
> /root + swap and /home are on different encrypted partitions.
> Should I have made another unencrypted /boot partition?
>
> When I start my laptop, I see some text and one [FAILED] message saying
> something about kernel. It disappears to fast to read fully.
> Which log can I open to read these messages?
>
> After this, Qubes boots to decrypt my drives and to the login screen.
> Everything seems to work fine.
>
> Even in dom0 Global Settings and via CLI it says kernel 4.4.55-11 is running.
> But when I generate the HCL report or when I try to reinstall/uninstall the
> kernel, it says it can't remove kernel 4.4.14-11 because I am booted into
> 4.4.14-11.
>
> I'll try making GRUB work with encryption the Debian way when I get home and
> see if GRUB then shows up. I'll keep you updated.
> I'll also just upload the full HCL report when I have time.
>
> Would be nice if my questions could be answered in the meantime.

Ah, my mistake. I don't have a UEFI capable machine so I don't know that
interface as well (I use legacy boot), but there must be an advance boot
setting in the boot loader to let you pick which kernel to boot, similar
to grub?

The definitive thing would be to open up a terminal in dom0 and run

uname -r

and it should display the kernel version that you're running. If it's
saying 4.4.55 but qubes-hcl-report says otherwise, then it'd be a bug in
qubes-hcl-report. That said, I run a 4.10 kernel in my dom0 and
qubes-hcl-report reports the correct kernel. Unfortunately, I don't have
a 4.4 kernel installed to test for myself, and I would but I'm having
some issues on my machine with the latest set of Qubes updates, which I
need to resolve first before I can get back to testing various things.