On 05/02/2017 01:40 PM, cooloutac wrote:
> you lost me SCSI subsystem, you mean like firmware drivers?  and
> cryptopgraphy system?  no idea.  but sounds very interesting, I appreciate
> your time.
>
> Also if I install all that stuff in my system. Shouldn't I then make sure to
> uninstall it all, or at least disable all those compilers I installed for
> security reasons?  We might need a guide on how to do that too.

In the kernel options menu, there are various sections that you can configure.
Things like Processor Type & Features, Device Drivers, Networking Support,
Cryptography, etc. The SCSI stuff lives in the Device Drivers section (along
with other things like PCI and USB support), while the Cryptography section
lists all of the ciphers that the kernel supports. You could probably slim down
the Cryptography section by taking out either ciphers that may be dangerous to
continue using because they've been proven to be ineffective, or at the very
least, take out ciphers that QubesOS doesn't use in dom0. Problem is, I just
don't know what Qubes uses.

As for installing stuff to compile a kernel, that's why you do the kernel
compilation in a Template VM, ideally one that matches the distro that's being
used in dom0. That way, all the dependencies are installed in there and all you
need to do is copy out the generated rpms into dom0 from the TemplateVM and
just install those.