On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 5:59:01 PM UTC-4, Unman wrote:
> On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 03:07:40PM -0400, Gaiko Kyofusho wrote:

> > > (ext4)
> > > that
> > > logs
> > >
> > > When you attach the drive to a qube, open a terminal in the qube and
> > > run dmesg. Look at the contents of /dev/ and see what xvd* devices are
> > > there. If you have attached the whole drive you would expect to see
> > > /dev/xvdi, and associated partitions.
> > >
> > > You haven't said what template you are using, but it is possible that
> > > you will have to manually mount the device/partition.
> > >
> > > unman
> > >
> > Thanks for the reply. I am not sure I 100% follow you (noobness). Other
> > devices do show up, here is what I got:
> >
> > [user@personal ~]$ cd /dev/
> > [user@personal dev]$ ls xvd*
> > xvda  xvdb  xvdc  xvdc1  xvdc2  xvdd  xvdi
> >
> > Do you mean like xvdi1 xvdi2 etc?
> >
> > As for template, sorry about that, I have tried both the fedora-24 and
> > debian-9 templates (the above is output from a fed appvm)
> >
> > I generally got mounting partitions but that does lead me to two questions:
> > #1 I assume I need to see more than just xvdi? (like partition numbers like
> > i do for xvdc?)
> > #2 would I have to manually mount it on each appvm everytime I want to use
> > it? (perhaps not a huge deal as I eventually want to have it permantly used
> > by 2-3appvms and no others so I assume that would involve some fstab
> > tinkering?)
>
> I dont know if you attached the drive or a partition - if just the
> latter then you would only expect to see xvdi - Try mounting that and
> see what happens.
> Alternatively run fdisk or cfdisk /dev/xvdi and see what is reported.
>
> You can mount these during qube startup from  /rw/config/rc.local or
> alternatively use bind-dirs to have a per-qube fstab. (Check the docs on
> bind-dirs)
>
> unman

Thanks for that.

I am barely sure what I am doing at the moment but think I am making progress.
So as I think you mentioned i think I was looking at or messing with separate
partitions so I tried to access the device and start over, that is
sudo fdisk /dev/md126
I deleted the two partitions then created a new one and it shows up as md126p1
and automatically with "Linux filesystem" as the type.
I thought that I should then format it:
sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/md126p1
but it told me:
/dev/md126p1 contains a crypto_LUKS file system
How is that? I mean good i guess, except I didn't setup a crypto_LUKS fs or is
that default?
I tried to access it via a VM and it now shows up in nautilus and asked me for
a pw (like an encrypted dev i guess) except... I don't know the pw? I tried a
pw, it wasn't right, then the dev disapeared from nautilus, i tried
detaching/reattaching it, still didn't show up in nautilus.

I am stumped? (though hope I am getting close)