> I still don't understand why you can't boot on legacy mode.  only diff I see
> my bios has 3 options.  uefi, uefi+legacy,  or legacy only.  I use legacy
> only but I don't see why it should make a diff.
>
> I don't bother with uefi cause secure boot aint used.  I'm not sure why else
> one would need it?

The main reason is b/c legacy booting does not work well with GPT partitioned
drives. Besides, GPT partitioning is a newer and superior scheme, with far
fewer limitations. Same is true of UEFI although it's currently a PITA
primarily b/c there is no certification process or adequate test procedures to
normalize its' implementation across manufacturers.

After reviewing the troubleshooting page I used the efi shell to make a copy of
/EFI/qubes on /EFI/BOOT and renamed the xen.efi & xen.cfg and the system boots
Qubes off the SSd directly now.

I couldn't resolve the encryption passphrase issue so I ran thru the
installation a second time without encrypting the drives after using the
GParted DVD to remove the encrypted partitions. I want to encrypt the
filesystems but not yet sure how to do that with the (apparently) buggy
installer that doesn't save the passphrase. I need to run through another
installation again and confirm the behavior before claiming definitively the
encryption passphrase is incorrectly handled.

> Another guy in another thread has similar issue to you.  Are you also using
> another os on a diff drive and swapping?

No, this is a brand spanking new machine and Qubes is now the only OS
installed. But since you mentioned swap, I noticed there is a swap entry in
/etc/fstab despite specifically not setting one. The installer even warned me
about it. I don't think it's good for the life of the SSD to use it for swap.
Also unfamiliar with the scheme Qubes uses for swap. I decided to leave it as
Qubes set it up for now.

>maybe your bios gets confused. Or maybe its just the partitioning?  The
>installer should be able to partition your drive for you.   I have most bios
>features off.  like fast boot off top of my head.   I have to double check my
>controller hand offs but I believe I have those off too.  These new mobos
>certainly have alot of usb options worth double checking.  I have it set to
>other os, secure boot and everything else off.
>
> I have no more suggestions for you so hopefully someone else can chime in.

Appreciate your reply, but aside from the encryption passphrase issue I think
I've crossed the main hurdles. The rest is just getting familiar with how Qubes
does things.

The friend of mine who tuned me onto Qubes said he was limited to a single
resolution of 800x600 and had to recompile a new kernel to provide more
choices. I am limited to a single resolution of 1024x768 so I will probably
need to do the same thing. He mentioned it involved a few more steps to do that
than on a typical Linux system but nothing too difficult.