On 06/27/2017 01:34 AM, Jean-Philippe Ouellet wrote:
As for the Raptor Talos and POWER in general, yes, I totally agree
it's leaps and bounds better than other commodity options, but I
couldn't afford one, it wouldn't fit in my backpack, and even if it
would I'm also not interested in carrying around a car battery just to
power my CPU for 5 minutes. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't
see it as a realistic option.

Lol... That was my impression of Talos as well: A bit monstrous in the physical aspects.

How did POWER diverge from PowerPC so radically in this respect? Is the latter technically moribund or patent-encumbered?

This is somewhat offtopic from Qubes, but oh well. That's where this
topic has drifted to, and the essay-rant is already written, so too
bad :P

I'm always glad to see the question of hardware platforms raised with Qubes, esp when discussing compatibility. There is no strictly compatible system for Qubes and this makes me think the project should eventually get into the business of detailed hardware specification... what ideal Qubes hardware looks like.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@openmailbox.org
https://twitter.com/ttaskett