On 07/04/2017 11:20 AM, Ausaf Rashid wrote:
So this is what I need to do:
Upgrade to Debian 9(I had Debian 8 installed, it was just that it wasn't
being used by any of the VMs)

And then upgrade  Fedora 23 to fedora-24.

I need maximum security/Anonymity so I'll be using Debian 9 as you
suggested.

Then I need to change the templates of all the VMs using Fedora to
Debian 9, right (I am not sure whether I need to this step)?

Here's the pic of my VM manager which shows which of my VMs use
Fedora(upgrade to Fedora 24 is not done yet and Debian 9 upgrade is
going on)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6WGzRCGUJYCeFU0SFliSTVzbzQ/view?usp=drivesdk

Also, just check that the NetVMs of all my VMs are correct(assuming that
I need to use tor under the protection of Whonix in Anon-whonix app-vm).
I messed with the NetVMs so it'll be great if you just checked and
confirmed that it's right.

Also do I need to do steps under:" Compacting the Upgraded Template" in
upgrading Debian 9 website?

So after Debian 9 upgrade and changing the Template VM of the VMs, I can
follow the rest of the steps on the website, right?

Yeah, its pretty straightforward in that you upgrade to Debian 9 (best to do this in a clone of Debian 8 but not absolutely required). then create a netVM (you can call it sys-net2 or similar) and add your network devices to the Devices tab in the VM settings. If you switch the old sys-net over to Debian 9 and use that, the settings from the older Network Manager could cause problems.

You don't have to move the other VMs over to Debian, and you will find that the Debian template comes with fewer apps pre-installed. This can cause frustration if you expect all the usual apps to be there; menu items will disappear. One way to address this is to use 'sudo tasksel' after the upgrade completes; selecting a Gnome desktop will bring in most of the usual apps.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@openmailbox.org
https://twitter.com/ttaskett