On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 10:17:13 AM UTC, Martin Ku, Enrique wrote:
> hi,
>

> so, apparently my clevo Intel Core i7-7500U 16 GiB RAM and 256GB SSD is
> having an UEFI issue that I cannot pinpoint.
>

> Somebody in the freenode channel "qubes" (not qubes-os) suggested me to read
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/#f1 which I did. But the
> instructions are written for people with skills, which I lack. I tried cases
> 1 and 4:
>

> case 4: /mnt/sysimage/boot/efi/EFI/qubes has not 4 but 6 files. I tried to
> examine
> /boot/efi/EFI/qubes but I have no idea how to do it: Is that directory in the
> usb stick Im installing qubes from or in the nuked notebook? And how should I
> access it?
>

> After seeing this I assumed case 4 does not apply to me, so I looked for
> another of the 4 cases.
>

> Case 1: In GRUB menu1, select “Troubleshoot”, then “Boot from device”, then
> press
> e.
>

> I tried to access grub pressing shift (grub should be in the usb stick, as
> the notebook has been nuked, correct?), but I only got the qubes loader with
> 4 options (check media and install, install, troubleshoot and another option
> I forgot). Is this grub?
>  If this is grub, there is no "boot from device" option in "troubleshoot"...
>

> So somebody with very limited command knowledge is trying to get qubes 3.2
> working.
>

> Help appreciated

Also be sure to enable VT-X and VT-D if possible. As far as I know, Qubes 3,2
will install without, but it won't work properly without these technologies.
They are often not enabled by default in the BIOS/UEFI.
As my memory serves, i7 7th generation should have VT-X and VT-D, so just need
to be sure its enabled.

Also try avoid booting with external graphic cards, especially if it's nvidia
card. Qubes has no nvidia proprietary drivers, so it often won't work without
installing those manually yourself, which is often tricky business.

Qubes however runs quite smoothly on intel integrated graphics, if I'm not
mistaken, your i7 7th generation processor should have internal graphics.

Make sure VT-D (which includes VT-X) is enabled.
Make sure to use Intel internal integrated graphics for Qubes.
There might be other BIOS/UEFI settings depending on your system.