Den mandag den 4. september 2017 kl. 00.35.31 UTC skrev ajme...@gmail.com:
> Qubes OS version (e.g., R3.2):
>
> R3.2
>

> Expected behavior:
>
> When I went into display settings and saw my second monitor, I clicked the
> "Use this display" button and it should have let me use my second display.
>

> Actual behavior:
>
> Qubes kicks me out to the sign in screen and won't let me sign back in unless
> I reinstall the entire operating system.
>

> Steps to reproduce the behavior:
>
> Go to display settings and click "Use this display" on your second monitor.
>

> General notes:
>
> I reinstalled Qubes twice and each time it did the same thing. I have 2 MSI
> GTX 970s running in SLI (at least in Windows. Not sure if it works in Qubes).
> I am using 1 HDMI port on each card.

I cannot provide you with a straight solution, but perhaps a workaround. Here
are some thoughts.

In my experience it often fails when you try to install Qubes with nvidia,
especially modern cards, but old cards have their quirks too. It's especially
bad without nvidia proprietary drivers, which have to be installed in Dom0
after the Qubes installation if you want them to work properly. To begin with,
it's nice that you even managed to boot up Qubes with your nvidia cards.

* Did you install nvidia in Dom0 before attempting to enable your second
monitor btw?
* Alternatively, did you try install Qubes while the second monitor was on?

* Also SLI might indeed be a factor too, you might want to try disable it and
see if it works. Assuming that you're new to Qubes, imho, it's well worth the
trouble, Qubes is awesome.

* Do you have on-board graphics? Like for example Intel integrated graphics in
your CPU? Intel graphics is known to run quite well in Linux/Qubes.

If you do have Intel integrated graphics (change to primary in bios, you don't
need to remove the graphic cards) then this is the most likely approach that
will work without much trouble. Also you hardly need anything more than Intel
graphics, Qubes can't run games or similar yet anyway. You will have to switch
screen cables or use a KVM to do so, if you choose to dual-boot with windows or
another system. Assuming you still use your graphics card on your dual-boot
systems.

Also I find it odd that you have to re-install Qubes. I usually have the
opposite problem, my screen settings never ever stick with me between reboots
or screen reconnections, I believe the fault is in XFCE4, I have to make an
automated script to make settings stick.

Perhaps a similar solution would make it easier to test without having to
re-isntall Qubes every time. If you find the file which saves the second
monitor configuaration, at least you should be able to edit it without having
to re-install every time you try something new.

Does tty terminal work? (Ctrl+Alt+F2, Ctrl+Alt+F1, etc.)?
Irregardless, too little information, it would be helpful if you provide more
details, especially if someone more knowledgeable drops by. I'm just a regular
user like you, after all.