On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 12:50:46 PM UTC, Dominique St-Pierre
Boucher wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 8:27:40 AM UTC-4, cooloutac wrote:
> > On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 11:02:50 PM UTC-4, Person wrote:
> > > Let's say you have an online identity that you want to keep separate from
> > > your personal information. On Qubes, is it possible to keep i information
> > > completely separate without physical separation? I have considered using
> > > a separate OS virtualized in Qubes, but it may possibly leak the same
> > > device data. Multibooting with Qubes is also not the safest idea.
> > >
> > > What is the best way to keep online information from being traced back to
> > > you on Qubes?
> >
> > Not really sure what you are asking, or what information specifically.
> > Keeping information separate is the general purpose of Qubes.  One vm
> > doesn't know what data is on the other one.
> >
> > If you are talking about keeping your identity hidden from the internet.
> > Just don't let the vm connect to the internet?
> >
> > As far as information like device id's,  that would depend on the program
> > you are connecting to the internet and if it gathers such information.  I
> > really don't know if what core linux processes do this.  Browsers prolly do
> > yes?
> >
> > In general, hiding your identity is not really something thats Qubes
> > specific.  Use multiple whonix qubes with tor browser?  Don't log in the
> > same online identities on the same vm?
>
> If you are talking about the first the identity of your computer, that will
> always be the same hostname, mac address if you connect both vm through the
> same network card. If you have 2 network card (and different sys-net), you
> can maybe have the traffic through one card for one ID and the other ID
> through the other card but if you are using it at home on the same lan, I
> don't see the point. But doing it on a public wifi and using 2 differents
> network card (and different sys-net vm) you can have 2 different session on
> the same website and I don't see a way from the server side to figure out
> that you are doing it from the same computer.
>
> Hope I make sense!!!
>
> Dominique

I second Dominique here, this is what I would do too if I wanted to maximize
anonymity. However be mindful that it's still risky if its a matter of life and
death, or anything other really serious/important. There is always a remote
chance that something can be used to track back to you, be it something brand
new, zero-day exploits, or what else hidden tricks is out there. Although these
is mostly only used against high-profile targets, and typically, or most likely
not,on your everyday internet users.

For example virtualization isn't perfect. To my knowledge, this is one of the
reasons Qubes is switching from PV to HVM. And even then, HVM seems to only be
a temporay solution, as while it's better than the current PV, it isn't perfect
either. Generally, you're in deep trouble if someone is hunting you as a
high-profile, but if its the average joe-hacker? Probably not. From what I can
gather, Qubes attacks are difficult to pull off, so much that it hasn't been
observed in the wild. However one of Qubes's weakpoints is the lack of reward
pools for white-hat hackers who hunt for bugs and weakenesses, although it may
be solved soon through donations I think? Anyway, just be careful, don't do
anything that you can't pay for afterwards, be it your life, prison, or what
else may be hunting you.

Also to do Qubes justice, it's still pretty darn secure. It requires exotic and
probably difficult hacks to get through, such as hacking one DomU and mess up
your memory in other to break into another DOmU, and thereby indirectly get
access to Dom0, or something like that. Presumably the Qubes 4 system is much
better protected against this kind of difficult but theoretical possible
attack, than Qubes 3.2 is.

Then again, I'm no security expert, take my words with some salt. But
definitely don't believe Qubes has perfect isolation, it doesn't, not with
modern technology anyway. However it's a massive leap in the right direction
for better security.

Furthermore, be extremely mindful of user-habits and which websites you visit
within the same Tor sessions. If someone is specifically targeting you, they
might be able to do simple detective work to figure out who you are. Be sure to
make a new session before you do anything that can tie your identity to
anything which must be anonymous in the future. It can even be the combination
of websites you visit, fingerprints in the Tor browser (they are hard to get
rid off, even for Tor/Whonix). Never turn on Javascript when browsing websites
that must be anonymouse (fingerprinting is heavily increased with javascript
enabled), and never move the Tor window from its default launch location, never
resize it, never zoom or scale, never install addons, never change anything
which affects your browsers fingerprint.

Basically, anyone can be tracked on Tor, if enough resources and skilled people
are being thrown at you, and they have an anchor point of which they can see
you return, to keep watch, until you make a mistake to give further clues,
which eventually will make the puzzle click and identity you.

Although you may know some of this already, I took the liberty to write some
warnings. Always be ready and cabable to pay the risk if you get found out, if
not, then is the gamble worth it?

Tor for casual browsing to avoid businesses and macro-surveillance is pretty
harmless even with more loose habits. Though, be warned, it isn't all sunshine
either. Mega servers complexes making use of Economics of Scale to build cheap
Cloud storages etc. are already showing up around the world, with the single
purpose, to collect encrypted or non-encrypted data, which will never be
deleted, forever. This is legal too, since there are plenty of loopholes in
law, for example it isn't illegal for the USA to collect data of anyone non-US
citezen outside of USA, and then trade such information with allies who keep
track of USA citizens. Nothing gets deleted in these massive server/cloud
infrastructures. With the now very recent news of quantum computers making big
breakthroughs, and already emerging A.I.'s that can automatically search and
find anything among massive amounts of data... well....

Huge data collection of encrypted data + Quantum computing breaking encryption
+ Advanced emerging A.I. to sort through all the data automatically =
essentially the same as reading the internet in clear-text non-encrypted.

Basically, anything encrypted today, may not remain encrypted in say 3-7 years.
Many don't worry about the future though, but the issue is many things are
collected and kept for safe keeping, until the day this vast amount of data can
be effortlessly opened and sorted.

Worth the risk? If anything big is on the line, then probably not.
If you just want to protect your liberty, freedom of speech, democracy itself,
and businesses marketers profiling you, then its worth keep using it.