Does anyone know how to turn off QubesOs' quiet boot (splash screen instead of kernel messages)?

I like to see the messages during boot (and shutdown). More than once I've caught a lurking problem (although it scrolls by fast, those red "[ FAILED ]" messages really stand out).

I've removed the "quiet" keyword from the "kernel=" lines in /boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg, but that only gives me the first page or so, and still brings up the splash screen. Pressing Esc gets me back to the messages, but I'd like to have it stay there.

This is with EFI booting. No grub (don't even have a grub.cfg file in /boot).

Thanks,

Ron