On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 09:39:20AM -0400, [799] wrote:
> Hello Marek,
>
> first of all thanks for all your qualified answers (not only in my but also
> other threads).
>
> > Did you switched "guiagent_installed" and/or "qrexec_installed"
> > properties? Both should be set to "false", unless you really installed
> > those components inside.
>
> Ok, now I understand, I've read something about qrexec_installed somewhere in
> the documentation, but I didn't understand in which context this was meant.
> Yes, I've verified quiagent_installed and qrexec_installed and both are set
> to False.
>
> >> b) can I install the missing Qubes parts later on to get seamless mode
> >> working and to launch applications from dom0 (qrexec...)
>
> > Not easily. Theoretically both qrexec and gui agent should just work
> > but in practice packages shipping them depends on specific system
> > configuration [...]
> > This is improved for Qubes OS 4.0 - packages are split into
> > smaller parts and it is possible to install just parts you want, without
> > the whole system reconfiguring stuff.
>
> I tried to run Qubes 4.0rc1 on my X230 but ran into problems, as I am now
> addionally running Coreboot I don't know if this adds even more complexity
> and thought about waiting until Qubes 4.0rc2 comes out.
>
> >> c) is it possible to create a standalone HVM based on an existing Qubes
> >> template?
>
> > Yes, qvm-create --standalone --template TEMPLATE_NAME ...

Oh, sorry, I've mixed Qubes 4.0 and 3.2 feature set.
In Qubes 3.2 it is slightly more complex:
qvm-create --hvm --root-copy-from
/var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/TEMPLATE_NAME/root.img ...

But for that to work, you need to install grub and kernel in the
template first. Because of lack of partition table on such root.img, you
need `grub2-install --force /dev/xvda` there. See here for additional
steps:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/managing-vm-kernel/#using-kernel-installed-in-the-vm

Then set qrexec_installed and guiagent_installed to true.

> Wow, I didn't know that, I think this is the best approach, as I have the
> benefits from both worlds:
> 1) all qubes part to be able to run seamless mode (if needed)
> 2) all flexibility of a HVM to add additional packages etc.
>
> As I want to migrate the HVM later on to vsphere (see my other thread which
> you have also answered :-) it might be a good idea to remove all specific
> qubes packages after the HVM has been migrated.

This will not be that easy. When you base your VM on a Qubes template,
it will have a lot of Qubes-related packages installed. It will probably
not work outside of Qubes...

> *** Question ***
> Which packages should/can I uninstall to remove the specific Qubes parts
> (which are not needed after the VM has been migrated)?

Short answer is: everything named qubes-*. But then you'll need to
recreate at least /etc/fstab. And probably some networking settings.
Maybe something more...

> My HVM which I've build with a standard centos-minimal ISO is now booting up
> in a window, which is great unfortunately it seems to stuck at boot.
> I have removed rhgb quiet from GRUB when starting up to see what is going on
> and the VM is booting up very slowly and is then stucked with the last
> message:
>
> [1.443023] [TTM] Initializing DMA pool allocator
>
> I've waited for ~5 min but nothing happens after this.

See what you have on emulated serial console:
sudo xl console NAME_OF_VM
(if that doesn't work, try adding `-t pv` option)

If nothing, add `console=hvc0` to kernel command line and try
again.
What kernel version you have there?

- --
Best Regards,