On Wednesday, November 1, 2017 at 1:05:41 AM UTC, Person wrote:
> I created a Windows 10 HVM on Qubes (I know Windows 10 isn’t supported, but I
> know some people succeeded with it, so I’m trying it), and when I attached
> the ISO to the HVM, I get an error message: “libvirt.libvirtError: internal
> error: libxenlight failed to create new domain ‘windows-10’”.
>
> I don’t believe that there is anything wrong with the ISO, because it was a
> download directly from Microsoft; and I don’t believe that I messed up the
> command, because it worked previously. It booted up a picture of the Windows
> logo and then suddenly crashed.
>
> One of the solutions I found online was to use “systemctl start
> xendriverdomain”, but I don’t seem to have this service and I don’t know how
> to install it.

It did not work on my system either, It appears to be a python code issue that
prevents Qubes from booting the iso files.
I suppose the best solution would be to install Windows 10 from Qubes 3.2, then
back it up to a Qubes-backup, and then restore Windows 10 in Qubes 10 from the
backup. This has worked with Windows 7. Just be sure to give it enough RAM
since it won't start easily without plenty of RAM, when without the
qubes-windows-tools to dynamically sort out the RAM management.

Thoughts on the details: It seems to be appearing within the Qubes tools,
specifically the --cdrom= part, and its associated python code. I'm not a
programmer, or an expert, but from what I can see, this won't work until the
Qubes team fix the python error, from either a new python library or the python
code someone from the Qubes team wrote, whichever it is. If the former, then
we'll have to wait for other developers to fix it before anything happens, I
suppose?

There were some python dom0 updates today, I tried to install Windows 10 both
before and after updating, including restarting Qubes just to be 100% sure.
None worked, same python error is still around.

It appears that the graphical method runs into same python errors, but without
logs I can't be sure.

Also I've tried installed from both AppVM's and from Dom0. Given that backups
are bugged/slow from dom0, apparently due to python also. So I thought it might
make a difference here too, but sadly it did not.

For now, it seems the only solution is to install Windows 10 somewhere else,
for example in Qubes 3.2, and then back it up and transfer it to Qubes 4. At
least to my knowledge.