On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 3:09 PM,  <talex5hang...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 1:33:53 PM UTC+1, Thomas Leonard wrote:

>> > No, but I do have this log (guest-windows-dm). First log doesn't boot
>> > (MirageOS), 2nd does (sys-firewall). Is that of any use?
>>
>> Oh, that's more useful than I was expecting! Looks like the Windows boot
>> process starts by running MiniOS! It's hanging at
>>
>> close network: backend at /local/domain/4/backend/vif/79/0
>>
>> I guess it asked the firewall to close the network, and never got a reply
>> (because the firewall doesn't have any code to do that).
>
> OK, I finally got some time to look into this. I think this patch should fix
> it (works for Linux HVM anyway):
>
> https://github.com/mirage/mirage-net-xen/pull/67
>
> I also made a patch that seems to let the firewall work with disposable VMs:
>
> https://github.com/mirage/mirage-net-xen/pull/68

Sweet :)

> Both are based on guesswork though - is the Xen netback protocol documented
> somewhere?

In xen src:
http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=blob;f=xen/include/public/io/netif.h;hb=refs/heads/master

netfront / netback in linux:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/net/xen-netfront.c
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/net/xen-netback

And a somewhat outdated but much more approachable introduction in
section 9.2 (starting p.169) of "The Definitive Guide to the Xen
Hypervisor" book in case you have access to it.