On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 03:38:02 CET Andrew David Wong wrote:
> Our position is that reasonable security
> via compartmentalization (of which Qubes is an implementation) requires
> the user to make informed decisions about how to compartmentalize
> various parts of their digital life into separate domains.

I fully agree with genevieve on all he said, and I'm not sure if the answer
I quoted above is a good answer to his worries.
Lets avoid making conclusions about "dummies", I personally would say a lot
of people can make a much more secure setup using Qubes even if they are
completely inable to use a command line.

The trick is to not treat your users like morons but at the same time create
usable and well designed (graphical) tools.

What is missing currently is support for anything that is not xfce and while
genevieve prefers Gnome, I perfer KDE.

The GUI tools that Qubes came with in 3.2 are hardly done (many missing
features) in 4.0, and thats Ok because they can be done at a later time.
Writing usability centric tools is hard.

What would be ideal is the opening of the APIs for 3rd party implementation.
Naturally, there is an API, but its a python API, which is not exactly the
most used API for graphical tools.
I would argue that opening up the qubesd interface to users using other
languages will open up the playing field to many GUI developers.
Maybe even get some KDE / Gnome native integration.
I won't speak for the core Qubes devs, but I would not be surprised if they
would welcome others helping out with GUI tools because if you are good at
security and Xen and stuff, that doesn't mean you enjoy doing GUIs.

--
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io