You can configure the software inside your TemplateVM.

I would place your favorite Firefox settings in a .js inside
/etc/firefox (or /etc/firefox-esr)
Note that this is done with the internal names (ie. as if done with
about:config), so it may be a bit hard need a to find out the mapping
with the UI preference
(eg. I didn't find out yet how to set a certain search engine this way)

As for extensions, you may be able to install them using an OS package:
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=xul-ext-&searchon=names

in case it is not available there, you could manually install it (note
you will need to watch for updates yourself) providing the xpi at
/usr/lib/Mozilla/extensions/{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}/
({ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384} is the application ID of
Firefox)

See for details
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/Alternative_distribution_options/Sideloading_add-ons

This way, you are providing system defaults, and you can create then a
different profile on each AppVM, without needing to keep or carry
individual settings on them.

Best