On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 1:15:29 AM UTC+1, Andrew David Wong wrote:

> Dear Qubes Community,
>
> Fedora 25 reached EOL ([end-of-life]) on 2017-12-12. We sincerely
> apologize for our failure to provide timely notice of this event. It
> is strongly recommend that all Qubes users upgrade their Fedora 25
> TemplateVMs and StandaloneVMs to Fedora 26 immediately. We provide
> step-by-step [upgrade instructions] for upgrading your existing
> TemplateVMs and StandaloneVMs in-place on both Qubes 3.2 and Qubes
> 4.0. For a complete list of TemplateVM versions supported for your
> specific version of Qubes, see [Supported TemplateVM Versions].
>
> We also provide fresh Fedora 26 TemplateVM packages through the
> official Qubes repositories, which you can get with the following
> commands (in dom0).
>
> Standard Fedora 26 TemplateVM:
>
>     $ sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-template-fedora-26
>
> [Minimal] Fedora 26 TemplateVM:
>
>     $ sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-template-fedora-26-minimal
>
> After upgrading to a Fedora 26 TemplateVM, please remember to set all
> qubes that were using the old template to use the new one. The
> instructions to do this can be found in the [upgrade instructions]
> for your specific version.
>
> Please note that no user action is required regarding the OS version
> in dom0. If you're using Qubes 3.2 or 4.0, there is no dom0 OS
> upgrade available, since none is currently required. For details,
> please see our [Note on dom0 and EOL].
>
> If you're using an older version of Qubes than 3.2, we strongly
> recommend that you upgrade to 3.2, as older versions are no longer
> supported.
>

> [end-of-life]:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Release_Life_Cycle#Maintenance_Schedule
> [upgrade instructions]: /doc/template/fedora/upgrade-25-to-26/
> [Supported TemplateVM Versions]: /doc/supported-versions/#templatevms
> [Minimal]: /doc/templates/fedora-minimal/
> [Note on dom0 and EOL]: /doc/supported-versions/#note-on-dom0-and-eol
>
> This announcement is also available on the Qubes website:
> https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2018/01/06/fedora-26-upgrade/
>
> - --
> Andrew David Wong (Axon)
> Community Manager, Qubes OS
> https://www.qubes-os.org

I'll third that notion from above, definitely highly valuing the amazing work
put into Qubes by everyone working on it, especially the core staff. I also
appreciate good communication to the mass-users, therefore this post to me is
also highly valued and appreciated. Although I feel a little double regarding
the apology, because I'm both inclined to say it's not needed at all, but also
at the same time happy about receiving it. Since being open, honest and
transparent, with good communication, goes a long way, and it makes Qubes more
likable.

Qubes is definitely high up on my list of projects that are shaping a better
tomorrow for all of humanity. Open, transparent, secure and decentralized
technology is incredible important in order to maintain democracy and avoid new
dictators grasping for power through highly decentralized nontransparent and
closed insecure software. Some people apparently believe we will never see
another Hitler or Stalin, and that democracy is something that cannot crack or
falter in modern times. However power enabled by centralized and abusive
technology certainly challenges that naive belief by returning more and more
power back to the individual leaders as centralized innovation goes on year by
year. For that, I believe Qubes is really important piece of puzzle to a better
tomorrow, on the grand scheme of things into the future.

I'm looking forward to see how Qubes will help shape our world tomorrow!