Am I the only one to notice you brought up POWER/TALOS something like
five times in the last week, even when the thread originally had nothing
to do with it (like this one)?

I get it you're enthusiastic about an open processor getting actually
used (unlike RISCV) (and must say I am too), but it's not really an
option for Qubes (which is the topic of the mailing list), so long as
no-one has ported Qubes to it (and unless you have a lot of money I
don't see anyone deciding to port Qubes to POWER only based on your
assertions).

However, even with open hardware design, all problems are not solved.
For once, there is no real checking of whether the product you buy
actually matches the specification you received. (And the main issue
with Intel ME or Meltdown/Spectre is actually that the implementation
doesn't match the spec, as the spec is safe.)

For instance, I recently heard of a paper at a cryptographers'
conference (don't have the reference, sorry), where researchers designed
a hardware implementation of AES that worked perfectly, then changed
three wires, and had a hardware implementation that still worked
perfectly -- until you change a bit the frequency, and then the
encryption is utterly broken. Three wires at 14nm on modern systems with
the 8G transistors of POWER9, good luck to spot them.

Oh, and also contrarily to what you say POWER9 is not more
owner-controlled than amd64, at least according to the specification
(and as stated before the implementation does not necessarily match the
information you are given).

That said, the two big advantages of POWER9 (or RISCV) to me are that it
democratizes the idea of open hardware, and that bugs in it could maybe
be found more easily than if it was closed-source (even though it's
doubtful Meltdown/Spectre would have been found more easily were the
implementation open -- the fact that POWER9 is also vulnerable to them
is an element of proof towards that). As the chip is actually not really
possible to check, it doesn't help with voluntarily inserted backdoors.

Just my 2¢ :)
Leo