On 01/12/2018 12:45 PM, 'awokd' via qubes-users wrote:
> On Fri, January 12, 2018 8:59 am, Ph.T wrote:
>> . my initial motivation for ARM was that
>> intel seemed more prone to #spectre than ARM;
>> https://developer.arm.com/support/security-update
>> "majority of Arm processors are not impacted
>> by any variation of this side-channel speculation mechanism."
>
> AMD is less prone than Intel too. :)

The vast majority of ARM processors that are not impacted by spectre is
the one that doesn't do speculative execution, afaik. So that's
basically all the “embedded” ones you wouldn't want on a desktop
computer because they are too slow. Then hopefully I'm not thinking of
some processors that would be both unaffected by spectre and
performant... :)

>> and is ARM saddled with ME or SMM? ...not sure.
>
> It has https://www.arm.com/products/security-on-arm/trustzone, but I don't
> know if owner controlled implementations are available or not.

I don't know TrustZone, but TrustZone-M (on Cortex-M's, embedded world
processors) you can choose what code runs in the TrustZone-M (which is
quite the point) [1]. A quick google search also makes me think with
TrustZone-A too (the “performance” branch of ARM), eg. on RPi, you can
run custom code in it [2], though I haven't read the full paper.

That said, for security reasons it is necessary to lock down the secure
OS in order to prevent offline modification, as it would pave the way
towards evil maid attacks. [3] seems to give ways to do that. And so
manufacturers could, if they wanted to, decide to just sell the chips
with locked-down secure OSes, not giving any way for the user to change
them.

[1]
https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-66332-6_12?no-access=true

[2] https://arxiv.org/pdf/1605.07763.pdf