Yeh, the anon-whonix app vm is routed through sys-whonix properly.  I haven't
changed that from default.
I do route most non-whonix app vms through a vpn in a proxy vm but that all
works as it should.
Both systems have worked independently and as expected for months.

Checking today some IP address checks in the anon-whonix app vm do come out in
places other than Germany but they're not my vpn's servers, or my ISP's.
It's like tor is mostly working but not fully.

I'll leave this help request here and see if there are any more suggestions but
if I have to I'll try deleting the var/lib/tor file contents  - the tor data
file mentioned above - and if it doesn't work try re-installing all the whonix
stuff.

Thanks.