On Saturday, February 3, 2018 at 5:29:08 PM UTC+1, Shashank wrote:
> I found it!!
> I have a couple of questions before I change to legacy. Do you use legacy and
> uefi? So the last time I was trying to install(ona diff machine) I had
> switched to legacy and installed qubes rc3. When I wanted to boot back into
> windows I changed to uefi and all he’ll broke loose I couldn’t boot back into
> windows and it was a huge mess.
>
> I can’t even remember how I was able to install windows 10 on it back again.
> I always thought that switching back to uefi mode would let me boot back into
> windows. Do you also do the switch?

I can both switch without issue, but also boot UEFI windows from Grub, which is
something you may want to look into too.

So as a basis you can use LegacyBOOS with Grub, and then point the Grub menu
for Windows to UEFI/EFI boot, even though you're on LegacyBIOS initially. I
don't remember the exact command-line in Grub, but it should be somewhat easy
to do once you know the command-line to put in there. You might be able to find
it quickly by googling it, this is not something exclusively for Qubes but all
other Linux systems can do this too.

Also the inability to switch between LegacyBIOS/UEFI sounds like a bug in your
UEFI? It shouldn't behave like that from just switching between LegacyBIOS and
UEFI. Did you also make sure SecureBoot was enabled if Windows is relying on it?

Generally I believe, if nothing has changed (I'm no expert either), that
LegacyBIOS is deemed more secure, because of the updates in the Kernel/Xen to
prevent some of these security issues. Not all of them are fixed, but
considering how fluky and poorly maintained/buggy UEFI is, it appears
LegacyBIOS is the better option.

My understanding of the reason in the details, is that UEFI/EFI is less able to
be fixed in the Kernel/Xen, or perhaps it's because there are so many unique
UEFI distributions on every motherboard that it's just not feasible to keep it
updated, while LegacyBIOS is much less frequently changing. Either way, UEFI is
often buggy, and motherboard developers often care little about updating them
properly, especially on the cheap models, but not always exclusively so.