On 2018-02-17 09:00, rqwang2...@gmail.com wrote:
> R3.2
>
> It seems that my wireless network controller sometimes failed to work even
> when I use the method described below:
>
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/wireless-troubleshooting/#automatically-reloading-drivers-on-suspendresume
>
> My wifi controller as in lspci is:
> Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I217-LM (rev 04)
> Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev c3)
>
> I will provide my observation and conjecture here ...
>
> Sometimes when wireless network failed, usually it is when qubes have
> difficulty suspending all the vms at suspension within a short amount of
> time, because some of my VM were doing some CPU/memory intensive jobs when I
> suspend (for example, batch fedora updates, install part). I suspect that the
> netvm is just being suspended before its job is done.
>
> Well, as it seems like a common problem and I am grateful that qubes has
> already solved tons of my problems, I do not expect the original problem will
> have a quick solution ... But I want a way to recover from the state.
>
> The state is that sys-net cannot access to wifi, which is annoying. I tried
> killing and restarting sys-net. As far as I remember it worked one time, but
> other times it will not work and the sys-net will simple failed to boot
> (something like, in Qubes VM manager it becomes yellow, and then without
> becoming green it goes off as if it has not been started).
>
> I tried detaching pci devices before shutting down sys-net. I cannot do it in
> GUI, so I use qvm-pci -d sys-net 03:00.0 and try detaching the network
> controllers. But the detaching and attaching fail with:
>
> libxl: error: libxl_device.c:1269:libxl__wait_for_backend: Backend
> /local/domain/0/backend/pci/34/0 not ready
>
> and the device is not visible in GUI! (It seems like a problem that xen
> failed but qubes gui has finished the transaction prematurely)
>
> And the story goes the same.
>
> Moreover, I have tried to change the netvm of sys-firewall to be none before
> I play with sys-net, but sometimes it also will not work, sometimes it fails
> with no reason (unknown error something like that), I tried changing the
> netvm via commandline and it fails with the same reason.
>
> However, it seems when I have closed all the vms - actually maybe
> sys-firewall, when I close that, I can open sys-net with the network
> controllers and it runs without problems. But for qubes when you do this
> basically it is like rebooting since you are rebooting your worker vms
> actually ... It becomes inconvenient when you have 3 jobs to do at the same
> time, your 3+ vms are starting different project with several files open and
> suddenly wifi fxxk up and you will need to close everything and start over
> and ...
>
> The report seems messy, so if anyone is interested in some of the details I
> can take time to try out how it works when I am free.

> [...]

You don't have to shut down any other VMs in order to restart sys-net.
You just have to change the NetVM settings of any ProxyVMs that are
using it first (which is usually just sys-firewall). Try this:

$ qvm-prefs -s sys-firewall netvm none
$ qvm-kill sys-net
$ qvm-start sys-net
$ qvm-prefs -s sys-firewall netvm sys-net

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org