On Thursday, March 1, 2018 at 12:08:19 AM UTC-5, Chris Laprise wrote:
> On 02/28/2018 08:23 PM, 'awokd' via qubes-users wrote:
>
> BTW, as an example of Qubes-specifics in this issue, on sleep/wake
> networkVMs don't process the normal array of events and system states
> that bare-metal Linux distros do. At least this was the case for 3.x.
> The result was that advocates of the macchanger script method (which
> relied on such events and related hooks) recommended that users keep a
> watch on the current MAC address and restart sys-net whenever it
> reverted (waking from sleep was the most common/blatant example). They
> didn't care to address the fact that the waking system was already
> broadcasting the original address before the user had a chance to
> restart sys-net (and not to mention the unmitigated headache of
> restarting/reassigning all the dependant VMs).

Well, to be honest, I haven't kept up with it once I decided it wasn't going to
work.  As I remember (and this is back before systemd, and you could still
control everything from the /etc/rc<n>.d files very easily), I put a little
script in /etc/init.d and did the macchanger thing before I allowed the network
to connect to anything.  If the network turned off, then it would randomize
when it turned on.

I don't remember it reverting, but I may have just not been paying attention
(or have forgotten in the haze of time -- it's amazing to me how quickly one
forgets little sysadmin tricks when one stops doing it all the time).  I never
dealt with VMs except for running Windows in Virtualbox, so I am clueless
there...    ... though I am getting interested again playing with qubes.