On 03/08/2018 06:24 PM, Yuraeitha wrote:

I might ave missed those posts, but the only way I know of right now that allow discrete graphic cards in Qubes 3.2 and Qubes 4.0 is by passing it directly into dom0, which is considered a big "no no" in Qubes security. However Qubes 4.1. might introduce a way to allow a single AppVM to handle a discreate graphic card without introducing new security issues. But lets wait and see how it goes, we barely got Qubes 4.0 out of the door yet right.
There is also the possibility that eGPU can work in Qubes 3.2. and Qubes 4.0 by
using high-speed Thunderbolt connections. But for one, this is expensive, like
really, they ask too much for these otherwise simple external PCI-e card
readers running Thunderbolt. Also I have never actually seen anyone succeed or
even try this, it's highly speculative. Considering if you can pass-through a
Thunderbolt port to an AppVM, but not an pci-e port, then in a nutshell, if
drivers etc. work properly for Thunderbolt/eGPU, you should have high end
graphics in Qubes AppVM's.

BUT, this is really too expensive. I will not by any means recommend you do
this. Neither would I recommend you hack dom0 and put your graphic cards
directly into dom0. You might be better off just waiting for Qubes 4.1. for
this capability.
I have used an eGPU via expresscard with an X230 laptop for gaming, you could also buy an T420/430, W520 (32GB RAM), etc.

It works well and can be attached to a VM if the device supports IOMMU-GFX which these do although I would suggest a workstation for x86_64 gaming (in or out of a VM) such as the libre firmware owner controlled KCMA-D8 ($315) a dual socket mobo supporting crossfire and the 4386 CPU (equiv FX-8310) that can play modern games at high settings.

If you can't find that the KGPE-D16 ($415) is also a dual socket option which supports up to 32 cores and 192GB RAM, the socket G34 6386SE is the best and last owner controlled x86_64 CPU.