If I pull the WiFi card out and don’t connect the Ethernet port to anything,
then I configure qubes to use only a usb WiFi adapter (as I indicated above),
I’m pretty sure that the ME engine won’t be able to use any of the three
network interfaces to phone home. For ME to work over a network, it has to have
a driver for the network adapter. It is unlikely to have one for the USB
adapter.

I’m pretty sure that ME is one reason Lenovo firmware has a WiFi card whitelist.