On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 3:14:33 AM UTC, cooloutac wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 11:10:52 AM UTC-4, Unman wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 05:00:05PM -0700, cooloutac wrote:
> > > Can't download qubes 4.0 not enough space.  tried to raise system storage
> > > size on template through qubes manager.  messag said I might have use
> > > resize2f.   tried that didn't do antyhing.   Tried to use qvm-grow-root
> > > it staid to start template to complete process but it also didn't change.
> > >
> > >    in vm settings it shows the size I specified,  but when running
> > > nautlius and looking at the space or doing df -h it is still only 4.3gb
> > > out of 10.5 available.
> > >   I've never downloaded a file this large in qubes so never ran into this
> > > problem. Only thing I ever had to increase was private storage.  I have
> > > this issue with all templates.
> > >
> > > Qubes 3.2 iso must be under the limit so I was able to download that iso
> > > but can't donload 4.0 it is too large and fails to download.
> > >

> > > Is there any detailed step by step instructions because I'm obviously
> > > doing something wrong?
> > >
> > > Ty for the help.
> > >
> > > Rich.
> > >

> > Rich,  can you confirm you're using 3.2?
> >
> > How are you downloading the iso?
> > Are you doing this as root or user?
> > Where are you trying to download it to?
> >
> > As you have enough space in /home my guess is that you are using /tmp
> > or /dev/shm
> > If you run df in the qube you're using WHILE the download is running,
> > you should see the free space moving down as the download progresses.
> > Can you check this and report back?
>
> Yes i'm definitely using 3.2.
>
>   it starts off as 4.3 or 4.7 available I believe available out of 10.5gb.
> no matter what I set private storage to. its the system storage.    I
> remember marek showing how to increase the temp file storage size when having
> a diff issue a few qubes versions ago,  when I use to have the issue of
> playing long video streams cutting off using fedora.  I forget how maybe
> similar issue here? But it doesn't matter which appvm or template I use.
>
> and yes i can see the available space slowly doing down as downloading. using
> df-h or just watching in file manager.
>
> I'm trying to download the iso from any vm,  using any template.  loading
> firefox or google chrome and clicking on the iso.  they all have the same
> problem.   I'd really have ot hate to use some other operating system just to
> download 4.0,  almost seems like a joke on qubes users, that the extra
> 100mb's puts me over the top and it fails to download lol.
>
> I mean I do have media qubes with 100s of gbs of data in there.  But they
> were copied to vms from usb devices and I did have to increase private
> storage size.  this seems to be a diff issue.

You must be concise in describing what you're trying to do. Are you refuting
the normal method to increase the AppVM's size, in favor for some old method
from several Qubes versions back?

I apologize for the rude question, but at this point it needs to be asked. Is
this an attempt to try preserve old habits instead of trying to build new
habits? Are you getting stuck in old ways of doing things, which may no longer
be supported/working?