Here's the summary of outcome:

- When I use QubesOS out-of-the-box (without any special configuration), the
mentioned USB mouse works right away, but not the USB keyboard.

- When I follow the instructions for the USB keyboard at
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb/#how-to-use-a-usb-keyboard then it works
correctly (as advertised) already at the LUKS password input. However, neither
keyboard nor mouse work at the QubesOS user/session authentication (once logged
in, both do however work again).

Should I file a bug report?