On 2018-04-19 13:49, awokd wrote:
On 2018-04-18 04:18, Stumpy wrote:

I recently added another gfx card which seemed to go smothly enough
except it apparently didn't. When I tried to plug in monitors to the
integrated video ports AND the graphics card things started going
sideways (and I can't figure out why they would?). One example is most times I boot no icons show up, not in the xfce menu nor context menu nor on the qubes manager, just the text. When I tried to rotate the monitors
(via xfce) they acted funny the wallpaper displaying strangly
but the qubes manager window showing up ok (in the same monitor at the
same time).

Xen might not support what you're trying to do. Can you replace the
primary graphics card with one with more ports that can drive the amount
of monitors you want?

doh, I hope it can. When you say might not support, are you referring to 4 monitors or 4 monitors spread out across 2 gfx ... devices? (not sure what it would be called since one is integrated and the other a card that was plugged in). Ah, a bit detail I left out of the post, the gfx card model! Its a OEM AMD Radeon HD 6570 1GB DDR3 PCIe x16 DP DVI Video Card pulled out of an HP machine. As for replacing, most of the cards that seemed like they would be compatible (AMD Radeon) cost a mint as soon as they went above the "3 ports" threshhold, so I would *really* like to try to get my current setup (or the one I am aspiring to) to work before considering shelling out more money.

Well the integrated gfx is what is primary now, I tried setting it to switchable (whatever that is) and it didn't work, then to the grfx card and that didnt work then to the primary and they all... kinda worked, at least everything was getting a signal of some sort as opposed to consistently getting 2 out of four monitors blank.

Lastly, so far, when I try to start up
an appvm I get the following: Error starting VM <sys-net> PCI device
02:00.0 does not exist (domain
<sys-net>)
though that happens with all the appvms and the debian templates and for
redhat and whonix I get: qubes manager error starting vm 'fedora-26'
maximum recursion depth exceeded

Go into Qube Settings on sys-net, Devices tab. Unmap anything listed there and add your NIC back in. You might have to repeat this if you remove the
secondary graphics card.
Alright, thanks. I will give it a try when I get back from my trip.