I was able to install android-x86 7.1.2 on Qubes 4.0.

I created an android-x86 CD with a custom kernel and a change to the android init script.

I created a standalone HVM, booted linux from a CD to create ext2 filesystem and installed legacy grub. [if you have a hard disk drive, YMMV. I think old grub and SSD do not like each other via all these VM layers, but this is untested - for now I just stick to ext2]

Booting the android-x86 CD I could install android. I refused to convert the filesystem to ext3 or to ext4 when the installer gave the option and skipped installing grub from android-x86.

Booting linux from CD again I updated the grub configuration (menu.lst) to boot android-x86.

After this the android installation can be booted. It has the known tablet-mouse issue. I can configure networking from the terminal - sometimes. Other times it takes me a lot of repeated entering of commands I saw on various forums. I am looking into the best way to automate this, will probably need to create a new cd. [this is an AOS CD, no google play, no proprietary drivers.]

However: You cannot attach a microphone or camera to this VM (except if you assign the hardware controller to it), so its use is limited. The VM does not even shut down, it needs a kill.

If there is any interest at this early stage, I can provide the CD as is or the pointers/patches/configurations how to create it. I hope to automate networking configuration in some form in a week or two.

I am not planing to further deal with the tablet-mouse issue. Using the keyboard more and the "mouse" less, you can get by. That should not be hard to fix on the qubes side, IMHO. It is not clear yet how usb devices can be attached to this VM, but that is something I would like solve, but given that on the windows side it has a separate maintainer, it might take a while.