On Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 10:19:46 AM UTC-5, Yassine wrote:
> There was a mistake in the install kernel parameter I shared, instead of
> "nouveau.modeset=1" it should be "nouveau.modeset=0"
>

> On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 at 08:20, Yassine <yil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 7 August 2018 14:49:33 UTC+1, Jim Snider  wrote:

> > > After install I tested different configuration and was able to get
> > > discrete gpu hardware support:
>
> > > - Removed nouveau.modeset=0
>
> > > - Added kernel param: acpi_osi=!
>
> > > - Changed iommu support from iommu=no-igfx to iommu=on
>

> > Yassine
>

> > I have a Dell Precision 5520 like yours except mine has the Xeon E3-1505M
> > v6 processor, so I think your solution should work on my Dell. I have not
> > been able to get it to work.
>

> > Problem : Qubes 4.0 Installer hangs at anaconda screen.
>

> > I made the install USB using Rufus 3.1 in dd mode. I have tried and tried
> > to edit the BOOTX64.cfg on the USB install drive but it is write protected
> > and I have not been able to writew changes using several different
> > approaches.
>
> > I booted UEFI,  The results of the install:
>

> > message :  "Not asking for VNC because we don't have a network"
>
> > message :  "44.288997 watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#5 stuck fot 23s!
> > [Xorg:1383]
>

> > I then made a ISO mode install USB using Rufus and edited the BOOTX64.cfg
> > as follows:
>

> > [global]
>
> > default=qubes-verbose
>

> > [qubes-check]
>
> > options=console=none
>
> > kernel=vmlinuz inst.stage2=hd:LABEL=Qubes-R4.0-x86_64 i915.alpha_support=1
> > quiet rhgb rd.live.check
>
> > ramdisk=initrd.img
>

> > [qubes]
>
> > options=console=none
>
> > kernel=vmlinuz inst.stage2=hd:LABEL=Qubes-R4.0-x86_64 i915.alpha_support=1
> > quiet rhgb
>
> > ramdisk=initrd.img
>

> > [qubes-verbose]
>
> > options=console=vga efi=attr=uc
>
> > # noexitboot=1
>
> > # mapbs=1
>
> > kernel=vmlinuz inst.stage2=hd:LABEL=Qubes-R4.0-x86_64 i915.alpha_support=1
>
> > ramdisk=initrd.img
>

> > [qubes-rescue]
>
> > options=loglvl=all
>
> > kernel=vmlinuz inst.stage2=hd:LABEL=Qubes-R4.0-x86_64 rescue
>
> > ramdisk=initrd.img
>

> > I booted the ISO USB Legacy, At Blue Qubes screen, Trouble Shooting, TAB,
> > added nouveau.modeset=0
>
> > The results of the install:
>

> > message :  "Not asking for VNC because we don't have a network"
>
> > message :  "X starting failed, aborting installation"
>
> > message :  "The installation cannot continue the system will be rebooted
> > Press ENTER to continue"
>

> > Yassine,
>

> > I have searched high and low on the internet and your 5520 / Qubes sucess
> > is rare. There is very little discussion of this specific combination.
>

> > If you could Please give me some guidance and edit my BOOTX64 above to
> [...]

I managed to get Qubes installed but it was difficult

steps
1) Make Qubes 4.0 boot usb with Rufus 3.1 in ISO mode.... note not dd
2) Boot and enter F12 boot menu and Change boot setting  Legacy - Secure Boot
Off
3) Boot and press f12 again and select Legacy - Usb storage device
4) Qubes Blue Install screen appears, select Test this media and Install Qubes
(the second option) and hit TAB
5) This will display kernel options, add nouvea.modeset=0

This stopped X from crashing and allowed anaconda to display setup screens.
Note: the touch pad did not function, but USB wireless mouse worked.
Alternatively you can use the arrow keys and alt-"X", where "X" is the first
letter of button you want to click.

There was still a problem with the install, It kept hanging about half way. The
progress line was reading "Installing Storaged.x86_64 (733/1019
I tried several times and the results were the same. After further research I
found others with this behavior so I tried their solution. Remove "rhgb" from
Kernel options, and add modprobe.blacklist=bochs_drm.

This is how I finally got Qubes to install completely.

6)Bios boot settings as before
7)Boot and press f12 again and select Legacy - Usb storage device
8) Qubes Blue Install screen appears, select Test this media and Install Qubes
(the second option) and hit TAB
9) This will display kernel options, remove "rhgb", add "nouvea.modeset=0
modprobe.blacklist=bochs_drm"

I am not sure what these parameters do but they seem to work in my case. I have
Qubes fully functional on my Dell Precision 5520, Xeon E3-1505M, Quadro M1200,
Samsung SM961 NVMe

The only caveat is that my system has to be set in Legacy Mode to boot, even on
the NVMe. Is this a security faux pas? Does it undermine Qubes inherent
security? What are my options to harden this?

Yassine, I am still interested in tuning post install as you suggested.

I have 2 questions:
1) What editor do you use in dom0 to edit xen.cfg
2) Are you certain that this is the right parameter ?  acpi_osi=!

Thank You Yassine and others for your help on this.