On Monday, 17 December 2018 20:05:53 UTC, smvi...@invisson.com  wrote:
> > I have a Precision 5520 and the USB-C Ethernet adapter that came with
> > it. I'm running Qubes R4.0.
> >
> > I've been able to use the adapter once per boot before I unplug it. If I
> > unplug it and plug it back in, then it doesn't show up as an Ethernet
> > device in the NetVM, and I have to reboot to use it again.
> >
> > If I boot the laptop with the adapter plugged in, dom0 sees four PCI
> > bridge devices and one USB 3.1 controller associated with the adapter:
> >
> > [user@dom0 ~]$ lspci
> > 05:00.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation DSL6340 Thunderbolt 3 Bridge
> > [Alpine Ridge 2C 2015]
> > 06:00.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation DSL6340 Thunderbolt 3 Bridge
> > [Alpine Ridge 2C 2015]
> > 06:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation DSL6340 Thunderbolt 3 Bridge
> > [Alpine Ridge 2C 2015]
> > 06:02.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation DSL6340 Thunderbolt 3 Bridge
> > [Alpine Ridge 2C 2015]
> > 3d:00.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation DSL6340 USB 3.1 Controller
> > [Alpine Ridge]
> >
> > I can create a NetVM and assign the last PCI device listed here to it.
> > NetworkManager recognizes the USB device as an Ethernet device in the
> > NetVM.
> >
> > However, if I plug the adapter in after I boot, then I have to rescan
> > the PCI bus to see those devices:
> >
> > [root@dom0 ~]# echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan
> >
> > Then, lspci will show the USB 3.1 controller. This works the first time
> > I plug the adapter in after boot. But the NetVM still won't see an
> > Ethernet adapter if I've already unplugged it.
> >
> > Adding and removing a PCI device creates other issues. If I unplug the
> > adapter, the NetVM that I attached the device to will hang on shutdown.
> > And the same VM will fail to boot if the adapter isn't plugged in:
> >
> > [user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-start sys-dongle
> >   Logical Volume "vm-sys-dongle-root-snap" already exists in volume
> > group "qubes_dom0"
> >
> > I haven't investigated further since I use WiFi almost exclusively on
> > that laptop. But maybe you'll have better luck with plugging and
> > unplugging the adapter on the 5530.
> >
> > Brian
> >
> > --
> > Brian C. Duggan
> > he/him/his
>
> This is great Brian! thanks for your help!
>
> I have already figure it out how to make it work thanks to your description,
> and something similar is happening now with the plug/unplugging... I'll try
> to dig deeper but at least now I can use it!
>
> Best regards.

Regarding issues with when unplugging thunderbolt after boot, this is due to
PCI hotplugging being disabled (for obvious security reasons) - more details
here https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1673

@Jim: following awokd's procedure you should be able to get UEFI working, also
the configuration that I described for installation and post-installation were
tested with UEFI only

Now if you reboot and the PCI devices served by the thunderbolt/usb-c are not
present anymore, you'll have to manually remove them from the list of pci
devices that are passed through to your NetVM or UsbVM.
Same for when you boot with the thunderbolt attached, you'll have to reattach
the pci devices to the VM for passthrough.