On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 09:01:25AM -0700, rbhlin...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 11:02:21 PM UTC+5:30, Konstantin Ryabitsev
> wrote:
> > If you are trying to use mutt with the default Fedora-26 template and
> > can't figure out why authenticated smtp sending is giving you a "No
> > Authenticators Available" error, you need to install cyrus-sasl-plain.
> >
> > Drove me half-mad before I figured that out. Hopefully it saves you a
> > bunch of clicks (and hair).
> >
> > -K
>
> Any reason as to why installing this package worked?

SASL is a protocol that provides an authentication framework. (Simple
Authentication and Security Layer)
It's commonly used in email protocols, SMTP, IMAP, POP etc.
The cyrus-sasl-plain package provides a library which implements that
protocol.

If you are trying to use authenticated smtp, you must have some way of
providing that authentication - sending your username/password to
the SMTP server. cyrus-sasl gives you a framework that lets you do
it.
Why cyrus? It was developed for cyrus IMAP server
-https://www.cyrusimap.org

Why plain? Because it doesn't provide a secure method of authentication.
It's meant to be used where something else is encrypting the traffic.

Why isn't it included with mutt? My guess is that it's because until
quite recently mutt couldn't send mail. It handed off sending to a MTA,
so didn't need to bother about the mechanism of how mail would be sent.

unman