Otto Kratik wrote on 10/31/18 2:28 AM:
Qubes 4.0

Whenever attempting to launch an app in a DVM, the result is always the same. The popup message
comes up saying "Disp1234 has started", and then nothing happens. Then about two minutes
later, another popup says "Disp1234 has halted". No app ever launches.

It doesn't matter what app I try.. xterm, konsole, firefox, dolphin, thunar,
tor browser, gedit, kwrite etc. Always the same behavior. Also doesn't matter
if I try from Q Menu shortcuts, command line in dom0, command line in another
AppVM.. no difference. Just the same type of message in the terminal, says it's
launching, then shuts down two minutes later with no output.

Doesn't make a difference either if I try to open a file in a DVM or just
straight launching an app. Nothing ever opens. Launching apps regularly from
normal AppVM's works perfectly all the time, just not DVM's.

Slight correction: About 1 in 10 times, launching Firefox from a
Fedora-template-based DVM succeeds. The other 9 times it fails. All other apps
fail 10 out of 10 times. And launching any app (including Firefox) from a
Whonix-ws-14-template-based DVM also fails 100% of the time as described above.

How is this issue best investigated and resolved?

Have you upgraded to Whonix 14 or customized the DVM? Try removing it completely (you might have to temporarily change DVM defaults to a different template), then recreating it with `sudo qubesctl state.sls qvm.whonix-ws-14-dvm`. If that doesn't work, see https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Qubes/Uninstall and https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Qubes/Install to completely uninstall and reinstall the workstation template and DVM. You can skip the gateway steps if you've already upgraded it to 14 since it sounds like that's still working.