On Tuesday, November 6, 2018 at 10:29:49 AM UTC-5, unman wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 05, 2018 at 01:56:00PM -0800, Otto Kratik wrote:
> > > Thanks for the extensive troubleshooting.
> > >
> > > It looks as if there's a problem *either* with the service *or* with the
> > > desktop files on fedoratest.
> > > Can you check the contents of /etc/qubes/rpc/policy/qubes.StartApp to
> > > make sure that you dont have a "deny" statement at the top of that file?
> > > You could temporarily insert a line at the top:
> > > dom0 $anyvm allow
> > > $anyvm $anyvm allow
> > >
> > > Just concentrate on using:
> > > qvm-run -a --service --dispvm=fedoratest -- qubes.StartApp+firefox (or
> > > gedit)
> > > Check the log file in /var/log/qubes : you should see a log created for
> > > whatever dispVM is atrted and qubes.log updated.
> > >
> > > unman
> >

> > So during testing, even though I'd stopped all other VMs from running, I
> > started noticing some odd slowdowns and other memory-related issues,
> > wondered if RAM shortage was affecting my attempts, and decided to reboot
> > and try again from scratch with no autostart VMs enabled.
> >
> > After that, I am now able to run pretty much any app in a Debian or Whonix
> > based DispVM without issue. In Fedora based DVMs, some apps like Firefox,
> > Filezilla, Calculator etc all run fine from the DVM menu, while other apps
> > such as Gedit and Nautilus/Files simply don't seem to want to act as the
> > "launch leaders" for DispvM's.
> >
> > Meaning, the DispVM gets launched, but those apps don't open, and then the
> > DVM halts again a minute or so later, as previously described. If I launch
> > Firefox instead first in a Fedora DVM, and then from the widget select "Run
> > terminal" for that very same already-open DVM, I can then launch Gedit or
> > Nautilus or any other app from the command line without any problem. But
> > those apps won't open as the initial "launch-apps" for Fedora DVMs.
> >
> > By contrast, in Debian DVM's I can launch KWrite or Dolphin or whatever
> > other equivalents easily, a well as Firefox or Tor Browser, and so far
> > haven't found one that refuses to launch.
> >
> > Thus it seems like a bit of an interoperability quirk between Fedora26 and
> > the DVM system, so far as I can tell. Results are the same whether trying
> > from gui menu or dom0 command line, though admittedly with some apps like
> > Gedit, I am unsure which of the following I should be typing:
> >
> > qvm-run -a --service --dispvm=fedoratest -- qubes.StartApp+gedit
> > qvm-run -a --service --dispvm=fedoratest -- qubes.StartApp+org.gnome.gedit
> > qvm-run -a --service --dispvm=fedoratest -- "qubes.StartApp+Text Editor"
> >
> > All of them fail in the same way, however.. so I'm not sure it makes much
> > difference.
> >
> > Out of curiosity for comparison, are you able to launch Gedit or
> > Nautilus/Files in a Fedora based DVM without issue, as the initial
> > launch-app either from the menu or command line?
> >

> I'm glad that some progress is being made.
> I wonder if there's some issue with the desktop files in Fedora which
> [...]

If I run a fedora based qube normally, all of those applications open and run
completely fine, whether I launch them on their own or open files that would
naturally use them as their default handlers. Gedit and Nautilus etc are
perfectly willing to act at launch-starters for a fedora based qube, as long as
that qube is a regular AppVM and not a DVM-template.

It is *only* when trying to open those apps as launch-starters from DVM
templates (such as fedora-26-DVM) that they refuse to open. Other apps like
Firefox/Calculator open fine as launch-starters for fedora DVM's, and once
open, I can run-terminal from the widget for that Disp8375 or whatever, and
from that terminal launch Gedit or Nautilus or whatever, no problem.

Only trying to start a new fedora based DVM with some specific apps (gedit,
nautilus) fails, with the Disp7473 halting a minute or so after it initially
launches, without ever opening the requested app. Debian/Whonix DVM's seem to
have no such issue with any apps, at least that I've noticed. Only fedora.

Honestly, it's a tiny bit of an inconvenience but at this point it's far more
of an odd minor quirk than a major show-stopping issue, and thus I'm not sure I
want to take up more of your or anyone else's troubleshooting time on something
so relatively inconsequential. At the beginning I couldn't launch any DVM of
any type no matter what, but I think that was more an available-memory issue
than anything else.

I appreciate all your assistance, as well as that of awokd.