On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 3:18:25 PM UTC-8, pr0xy wrote:
> On 2018-11-26 11:46, Achim Patzner wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, den 25.11.2018, 14:44 -0800 schrieb pr0xy:
> >
> >> Looking through past messages here it seems that others have got
> >>
> >> OwnCloud and NextCloud working. I wonder if they were able to do
> >> this
> >>
> >> with bind-dirs, or whether they had to use a StandaloneVM.
> >
> > Again: What do you want to gain? Having access to the same files on
> > multiple VMs? Having copies on all of them (plus the copy on the
> > storage VM) seems like a bit of overkill to me.
> >
> >> There are some other aspects of NextCloud aside from the file
> >> sharing
> >>
> >> like Calendar, Contacts, Notes and others that might also me nice to
> >>
> >> have internally.
> >
> > And to be honest: I do not trust all those plugins that far. They are
> > complicating things and complicated things cannot be easily verified.
> > Why not do everything on the same VM (which would be a risk you could
> > at least try to assess)? And where would be the limit? The Password
> > application? Giving external users access because you need to share
> > files?
> >
> > I'm not against a centralized "file service and storage VM" but it
> > would take considerable work to really find a secure way to do it;
> > access would likely have to use an RPC mechanism like current file
> > copying. It might be better to find out if it was possible to
> > implement something like WebDAV on top of a Qubes RPC services with a
> > fuse front end.
> >
> > Achim Patzner
>

> Honestly the first idea was to do some testing to see if I could get
> NextCloud to work in Qubes. The idea of easier sharing of files among
> VMs was interesting. For example, I have a huge directory of images on a
> USB drive that I use in a number of different VMs. The gallery of
> NextCloud lets me easily see and select them. Now I have to manually
> connect the drive to whatever VM needs them. I thought NextCloud could
> help my workflow in that regard.

I am doing/have mostly finished doing the same thing. Installing Nextcloud in
Qubes was a huge pain for me, the version on the fedora repository is version
10 and its up to version 14 now. So you can either manually install it, which
was difficult, or follow the instructions provided by the fedora documentation
and manually upgrade it one step at a time(painfully slow, but what I ended up
doing).

To get data persistance you will need to make the data folder to some spot in
/rw (which is saved in an appvm between boots). I chose /rw/nextcloud/data and
also added /rw/nextcloud/apps because version 13/14 has that folder too. There
are discussions in the nextcloud forums how to get nextcloud to like the
change. But note, I could not get it to work outside of version 13 on up,
probably due to Qubes being Qubes.

https://help.nextcloud.com/t/howto-change-move-data-directory-after-installation/17170/3

To get user configurations to work between reboots, and also kind of a bonus in
security, you have to go in the templatevm of nextcloud, open a terminal as
root, and manually add users. The users will show up in the AppVM of nextcloud
and for the most part it seems everything works fine.

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/13/admin_manual/configuration_server/occ_command.html#command-line-installation-label

I also have set up a secondary storage pool with a NAS drive attached and
installed the nextcloud appvm there.
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/secondary-storage/

I am still sorting out how to get it accessible remotely without punching a big
hole in Qubes' security but have some other obligations holding me back for
now.

So effectively I think we are looking at doing the same things here but its
been a pretty uphill battle for me so I hope these links help. I wasnt going to
bother writing anything up yet since its not really finished/I have no clue
what I am doing most of the time.