On 11/26/2018 06:56 AM, pieter lems wrote:
Hello Chris,
I was wondering, if i run a qube based on a fedora template it uses about 3.5GB of memory when just browsing. I decreased it to 2500 and it works exactly the same. Will there be any negative effects by decreasing the memory manually?
Thanks for the info btw!

Linux tends allocate whatever amount of RAM is given to it, even if that memory isn't put to use.

The only real negative to reducing VM memory is that it may start to use swap space if you open a lot of tabs. Light swap use isn't noticeable, but heavy swap use would make the browser noticeably slower.

You can check swap use from the VM's terminal with the 'free' command. I'm currently running Firefox with several windows and Thunderbird in one 2000MB VM now and swap use is still zero. I would expect slowdowns if swap use went much above 500MB.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket