On 12/07/2018 08:03 AM, unman wrote:
On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 01:45:14AM -0800, blupunk...@gmail.com wrote:
interesting read chris. lowering the mtu to 1325 works. thanks. the wan
connection is a vpn on router I was trying. this explains the sudden
malfunction. that vpn config had a mtu 1500 setting that I assume affects
downstream packets. what would you say is the reason behind the mtu 1500
setting on that vpns config?

It's the default setting for ethernet. (Max frame is 1518, with 18B
overhead so MTU is 1500B)
802.3 has a slightly smaller MTU default - 1492B but it's common to
retain 1500.

If some device upstream requires a lower MTU you must adapt to it but
it would not suit most other users.

The other referenced thread (and the openvpn material) hints that some automatic adjustment may be performed by openvpn based on received ICMP packets. If so, I'll have to check what can be done (safely) to allow openvpn to see these packets.

I'm loathe to have Qubes-vpn-support / qubes-tunnel impose any protocol-specific settings such as a smaller MTU on a VPN client. Equally, I'd hate to say in docs that "many of you will have to edit your conf files if you see this error".

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket