On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 15:54:17 -0800 (PST)
Eric Duncan <eduncan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Finally received my new Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd gen.
>
> i7-8650U up to 4.2 Ghz Turbo
>
> How can I debug/check that my CPU governor/frequency is scaling
> correcting under Qubes R4?
>
> So far, the only thing I've found is xentop/xl top that lists the CPU
> - as a never-changing 2.1 Ghz.  Maybe this isn't the best way to
> measure CPU freq under dom0?  All other tools seemed to want to use
> xfce4 tools, which seemed to only be specific to that fedora VM - and
> not the xen host.
>
> /TL;DR
>

> I let Windows 10 register itself before wiping the disk and
> installing Qubes R4.  Under Windows, Google Chrome benchmarked around
> 5300 pts with the online tool I was using.  As a test, I also
> installed Arch Linux briefly to test Chrome performance, and it came
> in around 4500 pts.  I chalk that up to not optimizing anything on
> the system - just a raw install and no tweaks.
>
> Now, under Qubes R4.0, I'm still noticing a lot of
> sluggishness/slowdowns just like my older Thinkpad Helix has always
> had under Qubes R3.2 (and one of the reasons why I waited for this
> quad core CPU to upgrade my Qubes install).  I could never benchmark
> Chrome under that Helix dual-core low-powered device.
>
> I loaded up Chrome on a new debian-9 VM and... Almost the same
> extremely sluggish performance.  Google Chrome can't even get
> partially through the benchmarks without timing out, much less finish
> them.
>
> I've tried assigning 4 and even 8 vcpus to try to max things out.
>
> I am wondering where to start to debug this.
>
> Is it a dom0 cpu scaling thing?
>
> Does Qubes impose some artificial throttling?
>
> Is it a lag in iGPU rendering through the DisplayVM?  (this DisplayVM
> is a new concept to me, still trying to figure it out)
>
> I've spent about 3 days on this device with various other issues to
> get to this point (no S3 sleep yet, pixel-perfect scaling of the HDR
> 1440p 14" display, etc).  I few duckduckgo searches hasn't turned
> anything up yet; so, i'll continue when I have some time.
>
> Thanks!
> -E

Hi Eric,

If your Chrome benchmarks involve 3D acceleration using the GPU, then
they won't work under Qubes.

Each Qube VM renders it's windows in software, which is then copied to
dom0 for display on the Xwindow system.  Only dom0 has access to the
GPU, and you are not supposed to run applications on dom0 for security
reasons.   (And of course, dom0 has no internet connection anyway.)

Mike.