Hello,

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 at 23:46, 799 <one7tw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> I am willing to write a more Qubes 4 targeted howto if I go it working and
> maybe even with the focus how to configure VPN services like ExpressVPN /
> Private Internet Access or others as this might be a common task (to have
> some AppVms routing traffic via a VPN service).
> [...]

after some trial and error I have been able to get everything running.
Thank you Chris for pointing me in the right direction and use OpenVPN
instead of the ExpressVPN Client.

If someone is interesting how to setup ExpressVPN in Qubes and use an own
"expressvpn-NetVM" to which other AppVMs can connect to, I had to run the
following steps:

1) Install network-manager-openvpn and network-manager-openvpn-gnome in the
VPN Template VM.
I have choosen to use a fedora-28-minimal template named t-fedora-28-sys
which has all packages installed for my sys-* AppVMs and the new sys-vpn VM.

2) Create a new VPN AppVM (I named it sys-vpn) which is based on this
template.
enable "This VM provides Networking" or qvm-prefs --set sys-vpn netvm True

3) Launch  "Network Connections" and in the NM Applet icon choose "VPN
Connections", then Configure VPN

4) Login into your expressvpn account and go to manual install
https://www.expressvpn.com/setup#manual
Download the OpenVPN Config file and get your username and password from
the right sidebar.

5) qvm-copy the OpenVPN config file to your sys-vpn AppVM and import it
into the OpenVPN Plugin (window from step 3)
make sure to use a name without blanks for this VPN connection so that you
don't run into problems when you reference to the config file later.

6) Add the credentials from your express vpn account into User Name /
Password (and User key password).
Not sure if it has to be in both password location, but this is how I did
it.

7) Click on the small Icon on the right in the password field and make sure
to choose "store the password for all users" in both password fields.

8) run the steps 4) and 5) which are described in the Qubes VPN howto here:
Set up a ProxyVM as a VPN gateway using NetworkManager
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vpn/

9) You need to edit those files via vi in a root-terminal in the sys-vpn
AppVM.
qvm-rum --user root sys-vpn xterm
The file which is named "file-vpn-conn" in the howto is the OpenVPN config
file which has been autogenerated after importing the OpenVPN config file
in step 5.
In my case ExpressVPN-Frankfurt

Hint:
It can take a few seconds until an AppVM which has the sys-vpn as netvm
gets its initial network connection.
if you run into problems, maybe restart both VMs.

If you have further questions feel free to mail me, maybe I'll add more
information if this is not enough and upload it to the qubes documentation
repository.

ONE PROBLEM:
The OpenVPN connection will not start automatically after launching my
sys-vpn AppVM.
according to the qubes docs this should work as described in step 4 here:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vpn/

Any idea how I can force the OpenVPN connection to happen?

- O