The problem has been solved.

It turned out that Qubes is tolerant of KDE Neon, but KDE Neon is not tolerant
of Qubes.  My solution was to delete both installations, install Qubes first,
and KDE Neon second.  Now both boot fine.  So, I did it again in the reverse
order, and I replicated my first problem

So... the answer was to install KDE neon on top of Qubes rather than Qubes on
top of KDE neon.

I have no idea why this makes a difference.