On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 12:31:00 AM UTC-6, Ivan Mitev wrote:
> On 1/15/19 3:46 AM, jrg.desk...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I am sure almost everyone has one or more appVMs in which they autostart
> > programs. That is, how do I set things up so that when a particular appVM
> > is automatically launched at boot time (or I manually start it), one or
> > more programs get started automatically? For example, in my "personal"
> > Qube, I want Thunderbird, Slack (the collaboration tool) and Dropbox to
> > start automatically.
> >
> > This is another thing I did under "straight" Linux, that I cannot see how
> > to do under Qubes. I did the RTFM and attempted to find something relevant
> > in the qubes-users forum -- no luck (or I missed seeing anything).
>
> You'll have to use .desktop files (as per the freedesktop "standard" [1])
>
> For a given VM create (or copy/symlink) the .desktop file of the
> application you want to autostart in $HOME/.config/autostart/
>
> Eg. to start thunderbird:
>
> mkdir -p $HOME/.config/autostart/ # in case it doesn't exist yet
>
> ln -s /usr/share/applications/mozilla-thunderbird.desktop \
>    $HOME/.config/autostart/
>
> You can of course create custom .desktop files to (auto)run arbitrary stuff.
>
> As a side note the system-wide folder (that you'd customize in your
> templateVMs) is /etc/xdg/autostart.
>

> [1] https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/

@Ivan: Thanks, that worked just fine. I vaguely remember messing with .desktop
files before my Linux distributions included GUI settings that handled
autostart.

By the way, how do I "Mark as complete"?

@Alex: Thanks for responding. If I do not have to add programs for one-off
tasks, I would rather not do so. But I will keep your suggestion in mind.