On Saturday, April 27, 2019 at 10:01:53 PM UTC-7, Claudio Chinicz wrote:
> On 26/04/2019 7:36, Jon deps wrote:

> >> Hi again,
> >>
> >> After a long time, the issue returned and for almost I see the update
> >> icon on the upper right corner indicating I need to update Fedora 29
> >> template.
> >>
> >> When I try to update, I get an error saying "Failed to synchronize
> >> cache for repo \ 'fedora-modular\'\n ..... Comment: System is already
> >> up-to-date\n".
> >>
> >> When I try to update using command line I get this error message:
> >>
> >> sudo dnf update
> >>
> >> Error: Failed to synchronize cache for repo 'fedora-modular'
> >>
> >> Anyone else has been having this same problem? any ideas how to clear it?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >>
> >> Claudio
> >>

> > what does dom0
> > $qubes-prefs   say  for  updateVM  ?
> >

> > did you happen to recently change anything?  I suppose you are aware
> > that the Qubes Manager  sometimes  won't get rid of the  little green
> > arrow even though your  up to date  ?    If your saying that  you closed
> > your Fedora-29 template and then closed all your AppVM Qubes and
> > restarted them and still see   the  recycle green circle on them,  I've
> > never heard of that problem before .....
> >

> > have you ever done
> >
> > $sudo dnf upgrade        vs  update
> >

> Hi,
>
> I've just tried and it successfully updated both Debian 9 and Fedora 29
> through the qubes updater.
>
> Answering your question:
>
> 1. updatevm is through sys-firewall
> 2. yes, I'd tried both sudo dnf update / upgrade with on fedora and
> debian command lines
>
> Thank you,
>
> Claudio
Newly posting on google.groups, Qubes user since 3.0.
I have had a lot of glitches with Qubes. 4.x Fedora updates too - between that
and the better array of apps, I find the Debian VM's to be more useful. Note
that with debian based systems (at least up until the most recent updated iso)
it is necessary to do a sudo apt-get dist-upgrade or the Qubes equivalents (on
new installs). Perhaps there is an equivalent distinction in the fedora dnf
system.

 In sum, I have found that there is more than one way to update/upgrade the
debian templates aside from the published method, and it would not be
surprising if various tweaks and work arounds are needed for fedora. I will
watch this thread and check my system as in the long run we need good updatable
fedora templates as they are possibly more secure, and we need a fallback
system should the various debian bugs create more vulnerability than we can
live with.